My pet chicken.com Review

So I got my chickens off of my pet chicken. A website devoted to saling just chicken supplies, coops, baby chicks, and so much more. They always have big discounts and other good deals too. I would recommend this website to anyone who loves chickens. You could even use some of the stuff for your other fowl.

Just go to mypetchicken.com
Good luck!
I usually order from hoovers hatchery or Murray Mc Murrays (which is nice because you get a mystery chick w/ orders of 20 chicks or over)

I'm happy that I didn't experience a box of dead chicks or similar, however, I have had a very time-wasting frustrating time dealing with this company. I thought I was ahead of the curve this season ordering 15 chicks in early December while not needing them until late February, as well as their Bungalow coop with an extra nesting box. I had a little difficulty due to the fact that their website wasn't user friendly and there was a page of their inventory I missed, but when I called they changed my order free of charge because of the understandable error and I thought I was doing great!
My coop arrived when expected and I promptly stained and weatherproofed the wood. I heard back from the company saying that, while they were currently out of extra nesting boxes, there'd be more in March. This was no problem since my birds wouldn't need the coop until after then.
Next I get a call two days before my supposed ship date of late February and am told that I won't be able to get my requested order for chicks until May and ADDITIONALLY I have to make compromises with the breeds at that time. I wouldn't be compensated for this delay or the breed change.
This, even after making sure that my order was in an entire season in advance! This was bad news and ultimately unacceptable. I talked to another hatchery and had to order a straight-run, but I got my desired breeds promised to me as good as shipped by the very next week. I canceled my chick order with MPC.
Now its early April and I've checked in several times to get the extra nesting box I need for my flock and have been turned away each time. I will have to buy an entirely new coop. I found a very similar coop with the two nesting boxes at for an even cheaper then the one-nest-box coop I purchased with My Pet Chicken, and it will arrive soon. I will have to sell the old one for a reduced price and re-stain and weatherproof the new one, but there are no other options for me based on the size of my flock and the space I have for my coop.
For the folks that are having a good experience with this company, I'm glad for you. At best they were a waste of money and time for me.

I'm happy that I didn't experience a box of dead chicks or similar, however, I have had a very time-wasting frustrating time dealing with this company. I thought I was ahead of the curve this season ordering 15 chicks in early December while not needing them until late February, as well as their Bungalow coop with an extra nesting box. I had a little difficulty due to the fact that their website wasn't user friendly and there was a page of their inventory I missed, but when I called they changed my order free of charge because of the understandable error and I thought I was doing great!
My coop arrived when expected and I promptly stained and weatherproofed the wood. I heard back from the company saying that, while they were currently out of extra nesting boxes, there'd be more in March. This was no problem since my birds wouldn't need the coop until after then.
Next I get a call two days before my supposed ship date of late February and am told that I won't be able to get my requested order for chicks until May and ADDITIONALLY I have to make compromises with the breeds at that time. I wouldn't be compensated for this delay or the breed change.
This, even after making sure that my order was in an entire season in advance! This was bad news and ultimately unacceptable. I talked to another hatchery and had to order a straight-run, but I got my desired breeds promised to me as good as shipped by the very next week. I canceled my chick order with MPC.
Now its early April and I've checked in several times to get the extra nesting box I need for my flock and have been turned away each time. I will have to buy an entirely new coop. I found a very similar coop with the two nesting boxes at for an even cheaper then the one-nest-box coop I purchased with My Pet Chicken, and it will arrive soon. I will have to sell the old one for a reduced price and re-stain and weatherproof the new one, but there are no other options for me based on the size of my flock and the space I have for my coop.
For the folks that are having a good experience with this company, I'm glad for you. At best they were a waste of money and time for me.
I ordered twelve day-olds hens from MyPetChicken back in mid-November, thinking that some of them wouldn't survive, BUT THEY ALL DID!

Their sexing wasn't accurate, now I'm stuck with two HUGE RIR roosters that I can't even give away to the AZ folks, so I called and emailed the Humane Society at least four times, but they've been in a move to their new location during the last week.

They're beautiful birds, but not allowed in city limits. I'm also keeping my eye on an Austra-White and BA to see if they're gonna be males (The Austra-White did have two feathers that were longer than the others). They don't have the saddle feathers or upright tails, but their larger combs and waddles concern me, hoping that I don't end of with four roos.

I don't mind getting rid of them because I'd rather deal with the smaller number of eight than a full dozen since I'm single and live alone.

There haven't been any issues with their customer service and said they would credit my next order with free replacements since I was past the time period for a refund. If these other two characters end up being roos, I will let them know. I would order from them again since they accept small orders, and they also make mention of their select and/or private breeders.

A word of caution...those pre-fab coops are a hot mess, and never would order one. Flimsly material, space accomodations over-stated. If you know your way around a few power tools and some plywood, you will literally save HUNDREDS of dollars building your own coop. I can understand those who don't know a screwdriver from a butter knife, and pre-fab is the quick fix for them, but for those who know better... don't waste your money.

Last edited:
I have had one of their prefab coops for almost 2 years now and I have been pretty happy with it really. I needed a coop in a hurry, as I impulse bought 2 8 week old pullets and needed to get them out of the dog crate in the garage. The coop arrived in less than 2 weeks, and was relatively easy to set up by myself.The attached run is not for full time confinement, as they state on the website, but my girls have a yard to get out to everyday. For a backyard in suburban California, with 2 hens, it has worked great. I agree, if you have the time and skill, make your own coop, but these have a place too. Compared to the prefab rabbit coop I recently bought, (which was stunningly inadequate in quality and safety) I am happy with my little coop's quality. Now I need a bigger one, though, you know, chicken math,lol. So I am going to try my hand at building one.

I have had one of their prefab coops for almost 2 years now and I have been pretty happy with it really. I needed a coop in a hurry, as I impulse bought 2 8 week old pullets and needed to get them out of the dog crate in the garage. The coop arrived in less than 2 weeks, and was relatively easy to set up by myself.The attached run is not for full time confinement, as they state on the website, but my girls have a yard to get out to everyday. For a backyard in suburban California, with 2 hens, it has worked great. I agree, if you have the time and skill, make your own coop, but these have a place too. Compared to the prefab rabbit coop I recently bought, (which was stunningly inadequate in quality and safety) I am happy with my little coop's quality. Now I need a bigger one, though, you know, chicken math,lol. So I am going to try my hand at building one.
You're one of the lucky ones and so glad it worked out for you with your small set up of only two hens. It's those that want to raise a half dozen or more chicks run into problems.

Power tools are cheap these days. Get a nice circular saw, jig saw, cordless power drill/screwdriver, and you're good to go. Depending on the plywood, it may cost more than all the power tools combined.

What works for me is to sit down, take a deep breath, then get out pen an paper and start drawing. I'm a drawing fanatic, and what is on paper is usually not the final product because of so many modifications.

These drawings...
Chicken-TV 01.jpg

Turned into this...
Outdoor Run 005.jpg

and this...with my chicken observation deck.
Outdoor Run 008.jpg

The 6x6ft coop will go in the upper left hand corner. The run is basically four 8x8ft squares with that small section partitioned off for the deck. Deep bedding will cover those 2x6 runners.

Use your imagination and go for it. Get ideas from pics posted from the internet and come up with a design that works for you and your babies. Best of Luck to You! --BB

Last edited:
That is an awesome setup! Working on my new coop now, nowhere near this size as my limit here in town is 5 hens. I am definitely getting inspiration from all the coops posted here, and from the things I like about my little prefab's design, but bigger. I'm thinking I will keep my little prefab, though, I have Seramas in the back of my mind. I'm thinking if i ever get any, it will be perfect for them.

That is an awesome setup! Working on my new coop now, nowhere near this size as my limit here in town is 5 hens. I am definitely getting inspiration from all the coops posted here, and from the things I like about my little prefab's design, but bigger. I'm thinking I will keep my little prefab, though, I have Seramas in the back of my mind. I'm thinking if i ever get any, it will be perfect for them.
I don't know where my design came from, maybe sipping on too much Brandy that night :oops:. It started with a single 4x4 inch pole and everything branched out like wheel spokes. The large gate/door will go to the left of the park bench. Oh, I'm replacing the bench with a nice porch glider and possible umbrella.

I also have a 12 x 20 tarp that will cover most of the area, leaving the deck and a 4x8 section behind that spool of hardware cloth exposed.

Why not build your own nest box? It's just a BOX approximately 12x12x12.

Back
Top Bottom