My pullet isn't getting better

Paz

Crowing
Jul 15, 2022
The Middle East
So my pullet who is about three to four month old isn't feeling well. She is weak and not really moving and stuff like that.
I asked about it and was told to get her vitamin B. And scrambled eggs. And make sure she eats.
I sent my vegetarian brother to get the stuff, I put it with her food and water. I watched her and her sister eating it. I THOUGHT it was going to help, but it's been almost two days and she seems worse. I also gave her a crushed egg, which she really liked, but didn't seem to make her better. And minced fish, which she also liked, but didn't help.
She's just sitting there sleeping unless her twin tell her to get up and eat or move.
She has liquidy greenish poo, and something seems off with her eye. She now waddle walks, and she keeps chirpy cooing. She barely moves her wings.
I don't know what to do. Must I take her to the vet? That's a lot of money I'm not sure I can afford spending on a chicken.

Are your chickens confined? Meaning, are they indoor pets or do they wander in your yard outside? If they are kept indoors, do you provide grit (gravel) for them to digest their food? Are they eating things like corn and seeds not ground up?

Are your chickens confined? Meaning, are they indoor pets or do they wander in your yard outside? If they are kept indoors, do you provide grit (gravel) for them to digest their food? Are they eating things like corn and seeds not ground up?
They live in the back yard in a 16 sq meter cage and get out for a few hours every day. They eat layer feed and vegetables and whatever they find when they’re out.

The pullet appears to be much smaller than the others. This may indicate a genetic deficiency in internal development, which can affect the efficiency of the digestive system and the liver in metabolizing the food.

Layer feed often does not have enough protein in it for growing chickens. This one especially needs more protein. It can be eggs or fish or animal liver. I would also give this pullet some sugar water to increase her glucose levels for instant energy which might improve her appetite.

Check to be sure they are getting grit or gravel in their run. Scoop some soil and look at it under a magnifying lens for gravel that has angled edges. If there is no gravel, you must find gravel somewhere for them or they can't digest their food.

Check this pullet's crop. Is it full and hard or empty?

The pullet appears to be much smaller than the others. This may indicate a genetic deficiency in internal development, which can affect the efficiency of the digestive system and the liver in metabolizing the food.

Layer feed often does not have enough protein in it for growing chickens. This one especially needs more protein. It can be eggs or fish or animal liver. I would also give this pullet some sugar water to increase her glucose levels for instant energy which might improve her appetite.

Check to be sure they are getting grit or gravel in their run. Scoop some soil and look at it under a magnifying lens for gravel that has angled edges. If there is no gravel, you must find gravel somewhere for them or they can't digest their food.

Check this pullet's crop. Is it full and hard or empty?
It’s crop is normal.
Is there a specific type of gravel that should be used? There’s a rock pit behind their cage where they walk to all the time when they’re out…

The gravel needs to be the size of coarse sand and not have rounded edges. If you see that size gravel in the area accessible to them, then it is likely supplying their grit needs.
Where can one possibly find that? In feeding Silos in my country they only sell chick food, layer food and meat food...
Is it in the pet store?

Here in the west, people are willing to pay for something in a bag that they could easily go outdoors and find it for free. Where you live, people are too smart to fall for that, so you probably can't buy rocks in a bag, but you can go to the nearest lake, river, or ocean and find it lying about on the shore for free.

Look for sand, coarse sand.

Back
Top Bottom