My Serama hen is ill. I'd appreciate guidance.

I have 2 pet Serama hens.
Recently, one has become seriously ill. Here are the symptoms:
  • Darker, almost purpling wattles, comb and earlobes.
  • Hunched posture, tucked in head
  • Tiredness, closed eyes
  • Loss of appetite, very thin and light
  • Breathing difficulties, tail moving up and down as she breathes
  • Occasional trembling
I am very worried. The other hen misses her if she's gone for a second, let alone dead.

Though I have bird flu here, she has been in no contact with wild birds, she's always in a covered run or inside and her sister is absolutely healthy.

I'd appreciate help or advice. This is suspiciously like the pneumonia that my elderly (LF) hen got.... It did not end well.
Any other suggestions?

I want to give her electrolytes for a boost. But how do I give them such a tiny dose and how much in their little less-than-a-cup drinker?
What's the instructions for mixing up the electrolytes? You could always make something like a quart or half gallon and then store excess in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Hard to know what's going on with her. Could be egg binding or trouble with a soft shell egg. You mention respiratory illness - does she have any symptoms - coughing, sneezing, runny nostrils, etc.?

I would make sure she's staying hydrated, offer her some wet mash and see how it goes.

What's the instructions for mixing up the electrolytes? You could always make something like a quart or half gallon and then store excess in the refrigerator for a couple of days.

Hard to know what's going on with her. Could be egg binding or trouble with a soft shell egg. You mention respiratory illness - does she have any symptoms - coughing, sneezing, runny nostrils, etc.?

I would make sure she's staying hydrated, offer her some wet mash and see how it goes.
No sneezing or anything. Just body moving as she breathes.

Watch over her for 30 minutes. Write down everything you see, be descriptive on every symptoms. This includes how she is eating, drinking, or not, her routine habit, convulsions, posturing, anything that looks off. Take notes. Then post your finding here in detail.

She is in bed now but for a time in the day I watched her:

• She stood there hunched, not walking or pecking, tail low and rocking up and down with her breath
  • She rocked and wandered to the food and pecked a few grains
  • She turned away and stood there again
  • She shifted slightly to follow her sister
  • All the time she's purple-combed, slightly ruffled, occasionally on one foot.
Mostly she just stands there.

Back
Top Bottom