Mysterious quail eye infection???

Barnmom78

Hatching
Jun 18, 2024
We have 5 adult quail. 4 females and one male. All are healthy except for one female. She developed a weird eye thing that looked like an infection. We rinsed with saline and bought Terramycin ointment and have been applying 3 times a day with no improvement. We also started Diatomaceous earth added into their feed in case it was parasitic. Now its in both eyes and we are stumped. She’s breathing fine and acting normal except I think she is blind or just cant see because of the discharge from the eyes. Any ideas what this could be from?

Attachments

• IMG_4437.jpeg
    IMG_4437.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4438.jpeg
    IMG_4438.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 2
We have 5 adult quail. 4 females and one male. All are healthy except for one female. She developed a weird eye thing that looked like an infection. We rinsed with saline and bought Terramycin ointment and have been applying 3 times a day with no improvement. We also started Diatomaceous earth added into their feed in case it was parasitic. Now its in both eyes and we are stumped. She’s breathing fine and acting normal except I think she is blind or just cant see because of the discharge from the eyes. Any ideas what this could be from?
It appears to have Mycoplasma. Their is really no treatment, the bird will either get over it or it will kill it. It will be contagious for the rest of it's life if it does survive. You have other birds I'd seperate it from them but it may be too late the others are probably infected as well. The terramycin ointment may help with the syptoms but will not cure it. The DE is absolutely worthless, will not help at all.

There are many causes of conjunctivitis (irritated or inflamed eyes), mycoplasma could be one of them and it is very hard to treat. It could also be a variety of other pathogens, irritants, or inflammatory issues. If there is no response to the terramycin after 3 days try a triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment with a steroid in it (talk to your vet) and apply 3-5 times daily to both eyes. Whatever it is, the other birds are already exposed, isolating this bird will only stress it out and possibly worsen the condition but be cautious introducing new birds to birds from this pen. Diatomaceous earth is best used for dust bathing for chinchillas, doesn’t do much for parasite control. Dust could be a contributing factor, may want to put them on wire and remove dust bath for a week and see if it improves.

Agree start with the terramycin. I have had to deal with mild to pretty severe looking eye issues with all sorts of farm animals (poultry, barn cats and horses). Terramycin has always done the trick. I had a tom cat show up with a swollen shut eye that was weeping puss. When I opened the lids you could not even see the eye it was all puss and swollen tissue. I thought for sure he was going to be blind in that eye. I applied terramycin 2x a day for a week and his eye completely healed up. His eye looks 100% back to normal now.

Back
Top Bottom