Mystery Chicken Breed...Langshans? Copper Marans?

RrooKk

Chirping
May 1, 2020
New England, USA.
I already posted about these 4 pullets that I received about 8 weeks ago trying to determine a breed, I think now that they are older we might have more luck. They were sold to me from a breeder as "Pure" Dark Brahmas...:lau Anyways, I was leaning towards Black Copper Marans but none of these ladies have any pattern/penciling in their feathering what so ever. They are all a DEEP black, and you can see in some of the photos they have green/blue iridescent feathers coming in. But someone mentioned Langshans to me and I'm curious if anyone could spot what breed they could be, or confirm the langshan theory. They are all beautiful and have the BEST personalities, I got my money back on them and I feel like I stole them just based on their personalities alone.

Obviously they are the solid black chicks in the photos. (All are 9 weeks old) Excuse all the other chicks photo bombing, they thought I had meal worms so they were running around crazy.

Also, as babies, they looked identical to Black Copper Maran chicks. Black with white feathers in the wings and face.

IMG_20200710_144837090.jpg
IMG_20200710_144839388.jpg
IMG_20200710_144841262.jpg
IMG_20200710_144959833.jpg
IMG_20200710_152301790.jpg

Thanks all! Any help would be appreciated!

I'm going to say Marans. Langshans are pretty uncommon and I would expect to see a more distinct "u-shape."

Are you thinking Black Marans? For some reason I have in my head the copper maran but those always have brown penciling correct? Sorry, just trying to understand, definitely new to this breed.

Black Copper means the hens with have some copper feathers on the neck as they mature. There are Black Marans and there are other Marans-based birds that are black in color that many hatcheries sell like the Midnight Marans. The latter is more likely though!

Black Copper means the hens with have some copper feathers on the neck as they mature. There are Black Marans and there are other Marans-based birds that are black in color that many hatcheries sell like the Midnight Marans. The latter is more likely though!

Wow! Thank-you! This is all great information 👍 glad to be getting to the bottom of this.

I already posted about these 4 pullets that I received about 8 weeks ago trying to determine a breed, I think now that they are older we might have more luck. They were sold to me from a breeder as "Pure" Dark Brahmas...:lau Anyways, I was leaning towards Black Copper Marans but none of these ladies have any pattern/penciling in their feathering what so ever. They are all a DEEP black, and you can see in some of the photos they have green/blue iridescent feathers coming in. But someone mentioned Langshans to me and I'm curious if anyone could spot what breed they could be, or confirm the langshan theory. They are all beautiful and have the BEST personalities, I got my money back on them and I feel like I stole them just based on their personalities alone.

Obviously they are the solid black chicks in the photos. (All are 9 weeks old) Excuse all the other chicks photo bombing, they thought I had meal worms so they were running around crazy.

Also, as babies, they looked identical to Black Copper Maran chicks. Black with white feathers in the wings and face.

View attachment 2237249View attachment 2237250View attachment 2237251View attachment 2237252View attachment 2237254

View attachment 2237249View attachment 2237250View attachment 2237251View attachment 2237252View attachment 2237254

RrooKk, I think you probable have Langshans here, or , at least part Langshans. There are feathers in a line down the outside of the legs. I think I'm seeing those feathers on your birds. I know that is an important feature of Langshans. I have 16 7-month old Langshans. I got them from MurryMcMurry hatchery. I posted photos of a few of them in introducing myself yesterday. That green sheen is also something Langshans are famous for. When mine were little, say 3 months or so, they had white ends on some wing feathers, too. The white has disappeared. I also find their nature to be very sweet. As for the U body profile, I am seeing more of a u-shape as they mature. Let me know if you can't find the photos I posted yesterday and I'll re-post them here.

Back
Top Bottom