Mystery Chicks from Meyer

We were trying to keep our cost down on this first attempt at raising chicks, and we wanted fryers and layers, so we ordered assortments for both. This would have been easier if we had ordered the white broiler bargain, but they seem too "franken-chicken" for me.

Sounds silly but I almost ordered 1 fryer as a surprise rooster since we don't have one but after thinking about it decided to go with straight run but breed specific so I'd get a surprise but of a variety I really wanted. I was sure I'd end up with at least 1. Got two I'm pretty sure, which will be perfect for our 14 girls. Yours has a lot of big girl/boy feathers and tail for three weeks so I'd guess pullet. I'm definitely no expert though! We just started raising chickens in June. Something I always wanted to do since we had them as kids. I'm with you though - I don't know how we'll ever eat them...maybe easier once they start misbehaving. They're just too cute now.

i dont know that misbehavior will help me. My rooster is just awful sometimes, and I absolutely adore him. My favorite hen pecks me every time I try to touch her. I think I'm a glutton for punishment!

Here's my rooster. He's awful. I love him. His name was Leopold, but my severely autistic son thought it was a neat joke to call him Sheepy. Therefore, Sheepy he remains.

I don't think misbehavior could make me do it either. Good thing my husband is less attached - although I think he will have a hard time when the day comes. For now though it'll be nice to have two in our flock so we'll have our own fertile eggs for future chicks.
Sheepy is a beautiful rooster :)

He really is. The picture doesn't really do him justice. And he's a really good roo. He doesn't eat until the hens have all eaten. He fusses at them when they get too far away. He hustles them in the coop when hawks are flying over or when it's time for bed. I couldn't ask for a better "husband" for my precious girls -- two black sex link, a Plymouth rock and a New Hampshire red. I cant wait to introduce the babies to the big kids!

Back
Top Bottom