Naked chicks from Buff Orpingtons

Mammal and chicken genetics have a lot in common.

Each mammal or bird has chromosomes in pairs, one from the mother and one from the father. Each chromosome has many genes. For each trait, the creature has one gene from the father (maybe naked) and one from the mother (not-naked) For most genes, one is dominant over the other (so the creature might have feathers or fur, but carry the recessive gene for being naked or hairless.) You only see the effect of the recessive gene if the creature gets one copy of the recessive gene from each parent.

That far, mammal and bird genetics work the same. It's just a matter of learning what genes are known for this species.

But sex determination is backward: male mammals are XY, female mammals are XX, so the male determines what sex the offspring is. But male birds are ZZ and female birds are ZW, and the female determines the sex of the offspring.
I had no idea that birds were opposite from mammals in sex determination!! Thanks! Very interesting on how nature evolves and works sometimes. Personally, I found out I have Neanderthal DNA - that explains alot!!

The feathered cockerels in the last picture also have yellow legs.
About 2/3 of the chicks have the white legs, the rest have the yellow legs. The batch of patents I purchased as chicks were also about the same ratio. I bred only the white legs. I have noticed that those with yellow legs get bigger than the white leg ones.

I kept them in a sheltered pen in the shade. They got bits of sunshine during the day, with room to get out of it if desired. Recently I moved them to the quail aviary because of the coming hurricane, and they seem to really like it there. Unless they get too uppity, I may just let them stay there. The parakeets don't know what to make of them!

I'm very worried about trying to breed them. Their skin is delicate, (and quite warm!) If a rooster mounts the hen, even with an apron on, he will injure her. If the naked rooster is able to mount a hen, he may also be injured. I think, realistically, that hens will reject him with hard pecks, which will cause bleeding, more attacks, infections, etc. Unless artificial insemination could be used, mating is too dangerous.

I remember a news article I read years ago, about a university developing a breed of naked chickens. They did it for ease of processing, hoping to entice those who raise chickens for consumption. But there were problems, (I don't remember why) and the project was scrapped. I'm beginning to see those problems now! But all the genetics discussed are fascinating! Thank you for all the entries!

I'm very worried about trying to breed them. Their skin is delicate, (and quite warm!) If a rooster mounts the hen, even with an apron on, he will injure her. If the naked rooster is able to mount a hen, he may also be injured. I think, realistically, that hens will reject him with hard pecks, which will cause bleeding, more attacks, infections, etc. Unless artificial insemination could be used, mating is too dangerous.

I remember a news article I read years ago, about a university developing a breed of naked chickens. They did it for ease of processing, hoping to entice those who raise chickens for consumption. But there were problems, (I don't remember why) and the project was scrapped. I'm beginning to see those problems now! But all the genetics discussed are fascinating! Thank you for all the entries!
AI isn't too difficult for poultry if you would be interested in that route

Yeah, but how would you keep them from getting sunburned? 🤒 Feathers not only insulate from cold, they insulate from heat and protect from the sun.
Lots of shade. Based on my naked necks, they seem to be far more alert to needing to go under shelter than humans. Had plenty of 3rd degree burns on family members, but never Any on my birds

I had 2 chicks hatch with no fuzz, totally naked.View attachment 2740636View attachment 2740645 I had to keep them separate from the rest of the hatch (28), because of pecking. They were cold and sad, so I added 2 other chicks to the little broader, and that worked. Its been a few months and they are doing well, although the female is smaller and paler. She has a little bit of fluff now, but the rooster only has a few sad feathers. They are pure bred Buffs. How did this happen? Can I breed them? Or should I donate them? Show them? I call them my weirdos. View attachment 2740634
What do they look like now

You could maybe reach out to the University of Northern Colorado--they have a fantastic animal husbandry program, and faculty / grad students who specialize in these types of breeding issues--I'm sure that you could find someone at a university who would know...

Back
Top Bottom