Nankins as broodies for standard size eggs

gflack71

Chirping
12 Years
Aug 13, 2012
I would love to hear if anyone is doing this. How many standard size eggs can they hatch? What size standard eggs? How many times does a hen go broody in a year? Any info/discussion is greatly appreciated.

I don’t raise Nakins. My bantams are able to set on about 6 large eggs and 4-5 xxl eggs. They have also been able to incubate 3 goose eggs at a time. Mine tend to go broody 2-3 times a year. It really just depends on the hen. For nesting material I recommend hay. Hay helps the hen keep the eggs under her, she’s able to make a bowl, unlike wood chips. Keeping the hen separate from the other hens also helps make sure no egg get cracked and the others won’t try to lay in her box. I’ve noticed that other hens know when another hen is broody and will only lay their eggs under her. To move a broody. Make sure she is supper broody. Keep the broody in her box and move her at night make sure to have something in front of the entrance of the box so she can’t get out and she’ll feel more safe. I’ve had the best luck this way. You can remove the thing u used to block her in the morning or in the afternoon, I’ve done it both ways.

I would love to hear if anyone is doing this. How many standard size eggs can they hatch? What size standard eggs? How many times does a hen go broody in a year? Any info/discussion is greatly appreciated.
never had Bantams, but I plan on getting Sebrights this spring. I hear that a hen can sit on 12 of her eggs, or 6 eggs of a standard breed.

What breed of bantams do you have if you don't mind me asking?
Mixed bantams, OEGB, Brahma Bantams, Japanese bantams, D’Uccles, silkies, polish bantams, and sebrights.
never had Bantams, but I plan on getting Sebrights this spring. I hear that a hen can sit on 12 of her eggs, or 6 eggs of a standard breed.
agree. I’ve had some of my bantams be able to set on 14 of her own eggs.

Back
Top Bottom