Narragansett turkey poult question.

Caulder carr

Hatching
Apr 25, 2021
Hello everyone. I have one Narragansett Tom and four hens. Recently three of our hens hatched out around 20 chicks. Will attach pictures to show you the parents and chicks but was just wondering why there are some chicks that are white, some that are multi colored and some gray ones. Just wanted to know why that is and what they might look like when older.
01163BAB-91E5-4A15-824A-7C28FE5F4C1D.png

Attachments

• 47A08FBE-1CFD-434A-AC54-AB6B67AA540A.png
    47A08FBE-1CFD-434A-AC54-AB6B67AA540A.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 8DA556BE-48B8-4A72-8F64-73C48743F104.png
    8DA556BE-48B8-4A72-8F64-73C48743F104.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Hello everyone. I have one Narragansett Tom and four hens. Recently three of our hens hatched out around 20 chicks. Will attach pictures to show you the parents and chicks but was just wondering why there are some chicks that are white, some that are multi colored and some gray ones. Just wanted to know why that is and what they might look like when older. View attachment 2635713
The tom you are showing is not a Narragansett.

https://www.porterturkeys.com/narragansett.htm

He appears to be a Bronze tom. It is possible that he may be carrying a hidden Narragansett color gene but there is no way to tell from a photo. Only controlled breeding results or a DNA test can say what hidden color genes he has.

My guess is your hens are probably not pure Narragansett too. I only see two hens in the photo and not enough of either hen to make any guesses. Based on the poults, I would not be surprised if one or more of your hens is a Golden Narragansett carrying the red color gene.

If the tom is a Bronze Semi-Color (bb Cc Nn) split white (c) and Narragansett (n) and one of the hens is a Narragansett Semi-Color (bb Cc n-) split white (c), it would explain the white poults. This is just speculation.

Whatever is going on, your flock is definitely not pure Narragansett turkeys.

He appears to be a Bronze tom. It is possible that he may be carrying a hidden Narragansett color gene but there is no way to tell from a photo. Only controlled breeding results or a DNA test can say what hidden color genes he has.

My guess is your hens are probably not pure Narragansett too. I only see two hens in the photo and not enough of either hen to make any guesses. Based on the poults, I would not be surprised if one or more of your hens is a Golden Narragansett carrying the red color gene.

If the tom is a Bronze Semi-Color (bb Cc Nn) split white (c) and Narragansett (n) and one of the hens is a Narragansett Semi-Color (bb Cc n-) split white (c), it would explain the white poults. This is just speculation.

Attachments

• 7BF48393-95D1-4209-9BAA-41C596F2CDDA.png
    7BF48393-95D1-4209-9BAA-41C596F2CDDA.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 212
  • D055E74D-09E6-4504-B8CC-C788853030B8.png
    D055E74D-09E6-4504-B8CC-C788853030B8.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • E21E6739-3BB3-43CD-8146-CACEFA89667D.png
    E21E6739-3BB3-43CD-8146-CACEFA89667D.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
I got them as little 4-6 week old poults (have pictures if wanted) at an auction as well but it seems like the hens are Narragansett not golden Narragansett. Could be wrong.

I got them as little 4-6 week old poults (have pictures if wanted) at an auction as well but it seems like the hens are Narragansett not golden Narragansett. Could be wrong.
It would not be the first time that turkeys were sold as something they are not. The poults that have been produced are proof that there is something wrong.

Narragansetts breed true unless there are hidden color genes involved. As for the Bronze looking tom, there is only one color gene difference between a Bronze turkey and a Narragansett turkey.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom