naugatuck ct, three acre ordinance NO CHICKS ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crocco

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Need some advice, my neighbors to the left have chickens and roosters,neighbors to right have two ducks. I just want a few hens for eggs and family pets but our town says you must have at least 3 acres to raise chickens should I just keep quiet or fight this in town hall?Almost forgot I have two acres of land myself more than the others combined.Thanks

Applications for a Code Variance usually require the approval of your neighbors. It sounds like that should be easy for you to accomplish with their help.

I never did understand why some towns in Ct want soooo much land just for a few chickens.

Weaselslucks, you are in Southington? Can I pick your brain a bit? A gentleman in Southington just purchased 4 goslings from me after talking to me for a few months about it. We've become friends. He was hit this week with a zoning violation for his poultry. He called me tonight asking for some advice. Unfortunately I am in Texas and not familiar with your local ordinances. He did say his property did not quite meet the 3 acre rule, but his father had operated a poultry business on that property since the mid 1940's. The zoning laws were changed in the 1950s. He inherited, but did not continue operating the business, scaled back and only kept poultry there for his own use and pleasure. They are his hobby and sanity. He's an older, retired gentleman and not even computer-savvy enough to use email. He had a conversation with the city attorney and was threatened with a lawsuit and fines. He freaked and started slaughtering most of his birds before he called me. I wish he’d called me sooner, but now we’re at the damage control stage. He's gotten a couple of letters from other neighbors (it was a relatively new neighbor that filed the complaint) on his behalf attesting that they did not consider his poultry a nuisance and that they were well cared for and good sanitation practices were in place. Do you know what he needs to do to get an exception in Southington? He doesn’t have a lot of time to answer this and he is down to very few birds now. He was willing to scale back, even though he never had a very large number to start with. He is really heartbroken over slaughtering his birds, especially the American Buff geese, but didn’t think he had a choice but to disappear them quickly. He is on a very limited income. Anything you can tell me that will help me point him in the right direction to get help or get that exception would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Kathy Hopkins

Last edited:
I am sorry to say i can't wait to move from Southington. Many new houses and all the old farmers are dying or leaving. http://www.southington.org/filestorage/50/2426/82/SECTION_THREE_rev._6.6.09.pdf though i have not read all of it it seams you need a special permit that cost like $250 and then can have no more then 12 chickens I do not know about geese. he could try calling Name: Michael DelSanto, Chairman
Address: 70 Southington Ave.
Town: Southington, CT 06489
Phone: (860) 621-6422
Email: [email protected]
I am waiting to move before i get my flock

I am sorry to say i can't wait to move from Southington. Many new houses and all the old farmers are dying or leaving. http://www.southington.org/filestorage/50/2426/82/SECTION_THREE_rev._6.6.09.pdf though i have not read all of it it seams you need a special permit that cost like $250 and then can have no more then 12 chickens I do not know about geese. he could try calling Name: Michael DelSanto, Chairman
Address: 70 Southington Ave.
Town: Southington, CT 06489
Phone: (860) 621-6422
Email: [email protected]
I am waiting to move before i get my flock

Thank you so much for your help! That was more help than I've been able to find. I do appreciate your taking the time to pass those resources and name along. I'll read your zoning regulations and see if I can help him and call the Chairman on his behalf. God bless, and good luck in acquiring your future flock!

Hi there :)
I used to work in Waterbury for a small radio station, and I remember there being a challenge to this ordinance not too long ago made on the basis that Naugy homes tend to have more land than, say, New Haven or Waterbury homes. Chances are, you can convince the powers that be by showing them ordinances in place in more populated areas. I'm currently in West Haven, and not only is there no ordinance against chickens, you can keep other animals as well! I can send a copy of both our zoning laws and those in New Haven for you to send to Naugy officials if you like.

Is there an update on the gentleman in Southington? Silver Spring's post just broke my heart. Things are hard enough on our retirees without harrassing them about a few chickens and geese. I live in Naugatuck, there's a neighbor down the street with 5 Rhode Island Reds. He has a tiny yard, maybe 1/3 acre max. but his coop is clean, and the "girls" never wander out of the yard. I hate to think he could be forced to give them up. It's a really stupid ordinance.

Quote:

Not yet. I've been working with him and sent the zoning commission a letter on his behalf, as have some of his neighbors, a State Representative, and several others.. Some of these people have been very kind and helpful. We found that he did need a variance as opposed to a special exception, and his state rep went to the zonig office with him and made them help him fill out the application. It had to be filed last week. I need to call him, but my home phone's been out. I told them he should be able to keep his ducks and geese AND waive the fee, but I doubt the fee thing will float. Maybe he can get a reduction. His hearing is in June. I'll let you know more when I talk to him again this week. We've meade progress and it was looking positive. I have found a couple more resources for him to check into before his hearing which I hope will give him a little more ammo. Thanks for asking!

Back
Top Bottom