Nearing 100 degrees F

Pics
May 16, 2020
Right now, as I'm typing this, it's 90 degrees in Oregon.
Inside, the temperature is terrible. We have no air conditioning, and even using multiple fans isn't enough to keep us cool.

And as for our birds? They're out in the sun.

We hung up towels over the roof of their run to give them shade, and they've been in the shady spot for most of the day.
All day long they've been 'panting' with their beak open.
Two of our girls- Chickety and Valentina- have started lifting their wings whenever they get up and move to regulate temperature.
They have access to electrolyte water and we've been changing their fresh water constantly to keep it as cool as possible. They've spent most of the day laying in the shade or pecking at ice cubes we've frozen bits of apples into.
Right now, I have half a gallon of water in the freezer that- when frozen or very cold- I'm going to set into the coop so they've got something cool to huddle around.
Our girls are almost fully grown, about a month away from when we expect them to start laying.
However, from what we've gathered, young chickens have a harder time regulating their temperature than older chickens.

We're especially worried about Valentina- who, as opposed to our novogen browns- is a fully black australoop. She's been showing more signs of exhaustion from the heat than our other girls.

Is there anything more we can do for them to cool them down? We've given them shade, are offering them frozen treats, changing and cooling water constantly, and we're going to give them a frozen gallon to lean against in an effort to cool them down a bit more. But it's only supposed to get hotter as the week goes on, and we're getting increasingly worried that our girls are going to be suffering.

You're doing everything I did when our temperature was in the 90s and the heat index at 105 degrees. It's tough to watch them struggle when it's so hot.

My 1915 farmhouse didn't come with air conditioning, and you're right, all the fans in the world can't keep you cool when it's so hot out. Best wishes and cooler thoughts to you and your flock. Hope someone out there has more options for you.

Maybe try putting up tarps for more shade. Freeze fruits and or chicken feed in cool whip tubs to peck on to help cool them off. Put frozen water bottles in thier waterers to keep the water cool. I use 1 1/2 litre soda bottles in thier 5 gallon bucket I converted to a hanging waterer and it helps alot here in Tn. I use 2 litre soda bottles for my rabbits.

Depending on the breed....plenty of shade and water will do. Movement of air in any form......fan...open window/door...breeze.... is a plus.
This is why breed selection is very important. Hot or cold.
We had heat index of 107 today with close hot sun.

108 Today in Las Vegas, I get it. They must have shade, true solid shade. A tarp, cardboard boxes, even a dark sheet will work. remember they will need the air to circulate to help them cool down. I have set up a fan to help with air circulation. The best thing has been a wadding pool, they Love it!! I actually use a lid to a trash can, it holds about 1.5-2" of water, they stand in it all day long and it cools them down through their feet. You will need to change it out often because they will drink it and of course they will poop in it...
Yes, keep up the frozen bottles and treats as well. Good luck!

I wouldn't give them EL every day, once a week works here.

To help cool down the coop I have a box fan in the east window of coop, where it's shady most the day, and turn it on late afternoon...blows cooler air into coop and pushes hot air out.

To determine heat stress levels I go by activity level, if panting and wing holding seems extreme, I throw out a few treats to see if everyone is moving well.

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.

full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.

full

Make space in your freezer!

full

I wouldn't give them EL every day, once a week works here.

To help cool down the coop I have a box fan in the east window of coop, where it's shady most the day, and turn it on late afternoon...blows cooler air into coop and pushes hot air out.

To determine heat stress levels I go by activity level, if panting and wing holding seems extreme, I throw out a few treats to see if everyone is moving well.

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.

full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.

full

Make space in your freezer!

full

Man! You must have this post copied to your notepad! Lol! Great advice for sure!

Shade, cool water and airflow have helped mine.

Luckily my one acre yard is mostly shaded and where I have my coop and attached run is, as you can see in this pic, under a huge oak tree and surrounded by other big trees so it gets deep shade for the majority of the day. Only around 5:00 does the sun start to creep in on the west side but there is about a 20ft y’all young oak tree that helps with that too. Good luck!
69137457-41A4-48D8-89E2-96323B832862.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom