Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Exciting update from Lincoln, we've have our first successful hatch! It's an Australorp cross (either with a production red or a silver laced wyandotte). We've got a few eggs waiting to hatch, hoping she'll have some company in the brooder soon!

Already in love!

I think you mean up wind but I agree. I think we can do better than 50' out my back door and only a bit farther on the other 3 sides. Lol it's bad here. Thanks!!!
What all kinds of birds do you all have? Is anyone joining the Easter Hatch a Long? I'm planning to at least set some of my mixed breed eggs and I'm hoping to get some purebred ones to set too.
smile.png
If you are looking to get away from large row crop operations and their incessant spraying, SW and NW portions of the state are your best bets..... broken ground grasslands are not conducive to that...... and there are plenty of houses that are going to fall down for lack of inhabitants in both areas: lots of people have been replaced by machines and consolidation of ag service businesses thereabouts ....

If you are looking to get away from large row crop operations and their incessant spraying, SW and NW portions of the state are your best bets..... broken ground grasslands are not conducive to that...... and there are plenty of houses that are going to fall down for lack of inhabitants in both areas: lots of people have been replaced by machines and consolidation of ag service businesses thereabouts ....

Broken ground grasslands is the exact kind of location were looking for. We've had a hard time finding anyone who's willing to sell even 15-20 acres tho. :( going up to my folks this weekend to do some more scouting around to see if there's anything that might be an option. Prayers are welcome!!! Spray season is already underway here and we'd really like to be able to move as soon as possible.

Land is better them it used to be, but it is still high, and hard to come by. This is a hard fact many beginning farmers are facing right now. You might look at the small towns (I mean places with less then 200) in the area you want. Many of them have houses for next to nothing and empty lots you could buy. Most of them are also some small they do not have restrictions on farm animals. If nothing else you could stay there until you find a better piece of ground (just do not plan to be able to resell the place)

Land is better them it used to be, but it is still high, and hard to come by. This is a hard fact many beginning farmers are facing right now. You might look at the small towns (I mean places with less then 200) in the area you want. Many of them have houses for next to nothing and empty lots you could buy. Most of them are also some small they do not have restrictions on farm animals. If nothing else you could stay there until you find a better piece of ground (just do not plan to be able to resell the place)
+1. These sorts of places are very common .....just check with the village board on livestock ordinances.

+1.  These sorts of places are very common .....just check with the village board on livestock ordinances.

Thanks for the input everyone!!! We'll definitely see what we can find and if there are some options we hadn't checked out. Normal town arent an option with people spraying their grass/yards and the town fogging for moquitoes etc.. Perhaps something smaller would work tho. This country girl would have a little hard time resigning herself to living in even a tiny town tho. Wide open spaces with no people in sight is where it's at! Lol People tell me that if it's supposed to work out it will so I'm trying to have faith it will!! :)

Thanks for the input everyone!!! We'll definitely see what we can find and if there are some options we hadn't checked out. Normal town arent an option with people spraying their grass/yards and the town fogging for moquitoes etc.. Perhaps something smaller would work tho. This country girl would have a little hard time resigning herself to living in even a tiny town tho. Wide open spaces with no people in sight is where it's at! Lol People tell me that if it's supposed to work out it will so I'm trying to have faith it will!! :)

I was raised in a small town. Our house was adjacent to a pasture that one of my Great uncles farmed. It made for a beautiful country view off our back porch, and as children the pasture was our backyard.

Back
Top Bottom