Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Pics
can do, no problem thndrdancr. just PM your address and I will get one sent to you. I'm really hoping spring's gonna come earlier than last year and that the weather will behave for the show.

Also forgot to ask earlier, are there other people here in Nebraska raising Marans?

Well that warm weather last week was sure nice but what a tease!

I just went to Kansas on Sunday to pick up 5 pea's, they sure are small tho. The littlest was a boy hatched in September, and I am worried bout him with this cold snap again. He has his head tucked into his body and keeps lifting his feet up. "worries..."

Didnt get a chance to clean out the coops in the warm weather we had as there was chaos here, whats new?

I would love to get some geese, but really would like some sebbies or perhaps a pomeranian...Not sure I want to deal with goslings right now, STILL havent sold our house in Lincoln. Slightly, what are they mixed WITH? lol

Also I still have some roosters if anyone is looking for some. My black orpington is totally gorgeous, what a sheen on those feathers! Sure hate to see him go to stewpot, need to advertise him on CL, but pictures I took were on a windy day and didnt do him justice, so havent listed him yet. He is like great great grandkid of Suede, Speckledhens awesome roo.

Also some silkies. STILL looking for showgirls, and if anyone has cheap hatching eggs, I am getting the fever!

Also...Anyone looking for a nice home in Lincoln?
lol.png

Last edited:
I really do not know what they are mixed with. They are both white but one has some black under his wings. I have had them for two years now and they are really great foragers but I have to cut my numbers and really dont need three males. I would also part with a female she looks like a touluse(sp) she was the only hatchling last year and is now laying also. When the weather starts to warm up again I will get some photos up.
Thanks for asking.

Go Huskers! My name is Lori and I just joined. I live in Steinauer, Nebraska it's about and hour southeast of Lincoln and 30 miles from the Kansas line. Happy to have found this place since chickens are new to me. We've lived on a farm forever and we "farm" but I have never had chickens. So happy to meet all of you and I look forward to getting to know you better.

Hi all...I have not been around here in a while. Well I have been lurking...
wink.png
. Last year was my first year as a City Chicken Gal, Thanks to HennyJenny. Update--Things went really well. Out of our 3 we lost one in June to a raccoon attack (in the city for crying out loud). Named them all after the Golden Girls (minus Dorothy who will be our add this year) and Rose really IS the dumb one...unfortunately she was the prettiest too. Blanche turned out to be Bernard, but HennyJenny made that right for us and "new" Blanche is AWESOME. Sophia is too.

I live in North-ish Omaha (in the Walnut Hill Area), and my friend is the co-director of the City Sprouts Community Garden. I got her excited about chickens as well, and coincidentally someone donated 3 RIR hens just before winter. Their production is slowing, and my friend wants a flock at the garden. Someone (I think a North O school) is going to build a BIG coop and run, and we are looking for some hatching eggs (bought a bator from the county extension office). I used the breed selector tool and it returned great results, we are looking for quiet, docile, bears confinement, calm, easily handled birds (will be around children). I was curious to see if anyone here had eggs so that we could buy local. Some chicken breeds that we would love for eggs, beauty and conversations pieces:

Wyandottes--Any color but I think BLR are gorgeous
Australorps
Orpingtons--My BO is really VOCAL sort of loud (anyone else?)
Dorking
Barnvelder
Delaware
Plymouth Rock
Marans
Or any others that fit the above mentioned criteria....The list from the selector tool was out of control with results so there are TONS more as you all know.

If anyone has hatching eggs they would be willing to share, donate or sell please let me know. We have the incubator and I want to fire it up soon.

Thanks!

Quote:
Just thought I'd let you know I just got the show catalog for the Poultry show in Scribner in April we had chatted about. I'll mail it out to you to the address you gave me once I get a few copies. If you are still looking for silkies by then and can make it to the show...usually at the shows silkies are pretty popular and there will be sale coops with birds available for sale. I nearly always see silkies for sale when i head to shows in case you are having a hard time finding some.
smile.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Glad to see more Nebraskans stopping by! This thread hasn't been terribly active since I've joined here...but I hopefully it will pick back up again. What breeds of chickens do you have? Or are you just still deciding what kind you want and etc?
I don't think it will be long until you are totally hooked on chickens
wink.png

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Haha...I was a lurker for a while too! Glad you decided to jump right in. I looove that you name your girls after the Golden Girls...that made me laugh out loud! I hope you are able to get everything all set up and going...what you are doing is pretty great! Just thought I'd toss out there that the Marans I've got are chatters...they aren't super loud, but they do love to talk. I find it very pleasing to listen to anyways...its kind of sing songy...

I sent you a PM about your inquiry.
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks! I really wanted to name my chickens "Nugget" or "Omelet" my friend named the 3 RIRs at the garden Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner...not really original but hilarious because they are not very nice girls...they peck and are not social. They were never really around people before we got them so I am sure it is a bit unnerving for them to be in the city and around people. "Rose" was raccoon breakfast and so now we need a Rose and Dorothy! Those names came out of my son naming his chicken (BO) Sophia. We decided the GG would be fitting. Sophia is really a loud chicken compared to Blanche (Black Australorp).

Thanks for the PM....

Back
Top Bottom