Need a little help determining age....

FreedomFarm13

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Arkansas
Hi, everybody!! I have four Cuckoo Maran babies that I just got two days ago from the feed store, and I'm having a little trouble figuring out how old they are. I'll post pics in a second, but first I have another question: What would be a reason for one of them to always have an especially crusty butt? All the others always have nice clean butts, but she has poop caked on all the time, and I'm a little concerned that maybe it might even be kinda inside out, but I'm afraid to wipe at it for fear of hurting her. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I'll try to get a pic of her butt, if you think it'll help.

Here they are:

I'm guessing that they're about a week old, but I wasn't sure. Sorry if the pics don't show them well enough, they were afraid of my camera, lol. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Lindsey

I'm new at chicks too

But for what its worth.....

- I think the week guess is pretty accurate
- You should lay paper towel down on top of the newspaper- its dangerous for baby chicks, no traction can cause a leg injury
- It sounds like the third one has crusty butt or maybe even a prolapse. Would need a picture. Search for crusty butt on here- It can be caused by the stress of shipping/ cold (also make sure their temp is around 85ish right now) I'd give her a wam temp bath and try to gently wipe the crusties. If there is a prolapse (where part of her intestines are outside look like a pink bump) After the warm soak apply a tiny bit of Vaseline and gently push them back in.

Thanks, Natalierose, you're a lifesaver!!! I've been stressing about her poor little butt, and wanting really badly to do something, but I wasn't sure what to do. I'll definitely look up the crusty butt thing, and I'll keep you updated on what I find out and her progress! Thanks again, you're awesome!!!

Lindsey

It does look like a mild case of pasty butt to me. I had to clean my polish chick for a while until she cleared up. Mines was from shipping extreme stress. (extra day in shipping nearly the entire box was a loss.)

I ran about 3 inches of warm water in the sink and held her while she had a soak then gently cleaned the poo off with paper towel. Very important to dry them and make sure they do not get chilled during this process.
You should clean them every time you see it starting to stick. Veggie oil can help keep it from happening again.

No problem :)

My silky had crusty butt

And my bearded dragon has had a prolapse

I basically am a butt-fixing expert
lau.gif

gig.gif
Hahahahaha, butt fixing expert!! I like that. Well, I read all the crusty butt pages I could find, and I guess I'm gonna soak her, clean off her little butt, and try some vaseline, see if any of that helps. I saw some pics of chickies with a lot worse blockages, and I really don't wanna have that happen, I'd just die! Thanks for all the advice, guys!!!

Lindsey

gig.gif

Natalierose butt repair service
I repair all butts any shape and size.
BUT....
If the butt ain't broke don't I fix it.

Now that is a business card worth printing.
lau.gif

lau.gif

HILARIOUS!!! I love it.

Little update: I washed off her butt last night, and smeared on some vaseline. So far today, she seems to be doin ok, still clean, so hopefully we nipped that situation in the butt, lol.

Lindsey

Chicken butt patrol?! Your chicks are about as old as mine, I had 2 with pasty butts! I ended up using an old shot glass to dip their butts in (that way I didn't get their whole bodies wet) - I held them gently and they took a nap while the um - crusts - soaked off. A little olive oil and they're right as rain! Hope she's still doing good :)

Back
Top Bottom