Need a new feeder

We tried DIY'ing a Port feeder like that... I picked pricey XXL Ports that had special gasket to fit a round bucket. Bought a gray opaque bucket with a locking lid that I thought would let some light in but prevent uv rays damaging the feed.

So we made the thing and it looked good, filled it and put it out there.
A hen would come along from time to time and sneak a nibble, but immediately yank her head back and run away. Because a flockmate would come up behind her and she couldn't see them easily, or she would hear a noise from the woods, so they were all scared to lose their vision for any length of time.
I don't know how some people get their chickens eating out of those. Maybe when it's the only feeder?
Our DIY bucket is now a nuts & bolts holder.

We tried DIY'ing a Port feeder like that... I picked pricey XXL Ports that had special gasket to fit a round bucket. Bought a gray opaque bucket with a locking lid that I thought would let some light in but prevent uv rays damaging the feed.

So we made the thing and it looked good, filled it and put it out there.
A hen would come along from time to time and sneak a nibble, but immediately yank her head back and run away. Because a flockmate would come up behind her and she couldn't see them easily, or she would hear a noise from the woods, so they were all scared to lose their vision for any length of time.
I don't know how some people get their chickens eating out of those. Maybe when it's the only feeder?
Our DIY bucket is now a nuts & bolts holder.
That is weird. Maybe because they were raised eating from something else? Mine have never had a problem eating out of the ports.

Back
Top Bottom