Need Clarification - Depluming mites?

Feather eating is pretty common. If you want a higher protein then I would switch to a flock raiser or all flock type feed, usually in the 18-20% range of protein. I even use chick starter/grower sometimes, when things are out of stock. Then just provide oystershell in a separate feeder all the time so they can take what they need. I save egg shells and grind them up and mix them in the oystershell 50/50 and they seem to find it more palatable that way. That is how I feed my flock, have for a long time. That way if you have roo's, young birds not laying yet, older hens out of lay for age, season, or molt, they aren't getting too much calcium, which can lead to health problems. There are SO many different feeds out there, you will have to look for what you have locally that meets your requirements. I've found it pretty difficult to find a soy and corn free feed.
Broody could definitely be a factor. When it's very hot out, they tend to go broody then, I've had a couple this summer. I don't let mine sit in extreme heat either, both because it's hard on them, and because that level of heat can affect the hatch. Since she has laid recently, it's more likely that it may be fat in the abdomen. But I would keep an eye on her. Once she's no longer acting broody, watch for her to resume laying to confirm that all is well.

Back
Top Bottom