Need fence opinions please!

No, I've never seen that around here - it's always one or the other. I do like the idea of vines. I'm a big gardener too and love vining plants! I could never do it before because the neighbor sprays grass killer along the fence - knowing full well my chickens are out all day. Another good reason for the privacy fence!

Aaronzclark, thanks for the tip about cutting their wings. I did try that before but learned I cut them wrong.

Keep the suggestions and opinions coming!

Ok, I know this might sound bad, but maybe you might consider trying it.

I agree with your parents that the wood will not last as long as the chainlink. Plus, dogs have a way of getting though the bottom and loosening parts of it. But also consider how long your neighbor will be your neighbor. That said, I would do the whatever it would take to preserve my privacy, and my climbing vines, and my money. I wouldn't want to remove a chainlink fence because you might want to put it back up someday. Or you might want to sell your home, and the chainlink might be considered better than wood, which rots eventually.

If I had your problem, I'd put neutral grey heavy plastic tarps on your side of the fence with white lattice over it. You can use the lattice for your vines and for trellising. It will look hideous on his side (and from what you wrote, he won't care), but on your side it will look like white lattice against a neutral greyish background and your vines and trellised greenery will be over that. It will provide some shade for your foliage, it will block his poison, and it's not permanent or expensive. You won't have to worry about things going under the fence or through the slats like you would with a wooden fence. If you ever put up an arbor, it can go with the rest of the lattice.

Before you totally chuck the idea out the window as trash, consider one piece of lattice and one tarp, and see how it looks.

Oooor, you might think this idea totally sucks and I'm off my rocker. It's okay, it was just an idea
tongue.png

I just hate to think of the thousands of dollars your spending for a freaky neighbor.

BTW, the "tarp" I'm thinking of is the heavy covering they use to cover boats and trucks, not the flimsy blue tacky light ones. They're more sturdy and they look nicer.

You can start climbing roses on the chain link. They will cover it and look nice, too. Star jasmine will do the same thing. Maybe cover even better than the roses and it smells nice.

Your ideas are all great and no, I don't think you're off your rocker! There's no way he would allow me to put a tarp over the fence but maybe a combo of both ideas: I'll go ahead with the privacy fence (because I want the 6' height) and keep the chain link on the inside. Then I could cover with the tarps and do the lattice with the plants! Or maybe the lattice and plants would cover the chain link enough and the tarp wouldn't be necessary...hmmm...great ideas! I really am having second thoughts about removing the chain link and have a call into the fence guy.

If you'd like I can send you tons of passion fruit vine cuttings to climb the fence, it's the fruit that gives hawiian punch the tart zip. I have to prune back my vines as we don't get hard freezes, but there it would freeze, as regrow each year.

30078_passifloria_fredrick.jpg

I've actually seen it done with the wood privacy fence put right up against the existing chain link many times. It actually doesn't look that bad until the wood starts to rot or get holes in it... so it's the wood that would seem to be the issue - at least in my eyes.

And, as stated by several above and what I've seen, it's the wood that will need to be replaced sooner in the long run. I'd leave the chain link for extra protection and put up the wood fence for privacy and to hopefully keep your chickens from flying over.

Good luck.

Well, thanks all for your ideas and suggestions but DBF said absolutely not - the chain link fence goes. And we found the perfect spot for part of it - around the garden! We just finished planting today (yeah, we're in Ohio LOL) and the chickens keep hopping over the 2 1/2 ft garden fence.

Saddina, I would really love some passion vine but it might be too late in the season already; I don't know. Thank you anyway! I do know that my ducks have eaten my clematis
hit.gif
but I think it can be saved. No way cuttings would survive them.
hugs.gif

You can start it as a house plant and transplant in next spring. I don't think anything other than gulf frittiarly catapilliars like them, they're the larva vector host (that means only place they lay butterfly eggs). The cats are toxic, so the ducks would leave them, and the vine alone.

30078_gulf_frit.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom