Need help sick Chicken

Boymomchickmom

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2018
Alabama
About 2 weeks ago one of my BCM babies got hurt/sick. She was having trouble walking on her right leg and laying down a lot. We brought her in the house and put her in a crate. On Thursday of last week she didn' look good so we checked her poo and found worms so we wormed her and for good meaure treated her for mites/lice as well. She's lost a lot of weight and is very weak. We'e supplemented with vitamins and electrolytes, boiled egg yolks, her favorite oatmeal, spinach and watermelon. She's been opening her mouth like she's panting quite a bit today. She' not hot (72 inside the house). She is very alert, chirping, using the bathroom and eating great just very weak and now the panting. I would hate to put her down if I can nurse her through this, but I will if she's suffering. Side note, all my other chickens are 100% fine. They were treated as well. Is there anything else I can do to give my sweet baby a chance. I'm desperate, my children and I are very attached to her.

Do you have NutriDrench or Sav-A-Chick? If you have the NutriDrench, put some directly in her mouth. I am sorry, I know this is so hard. How does the poop look? Oatmeal can be irritating to the digestive system so I would hold off on that for now.

Do you have NutriDrench or Sav-A-Chick? If you have the NutriDrench, put some directly in her mouth. I am sorry, I know this is so hard. How does the poop look? Oatmeal can be irritating to the digestive system so I would hold off on that for now.
She's been getting both. Her poop looked fine until today and it got a little running.

Now she' having very runny and smelly poop. Should I be concerned? Or could it be from the watermelon?
If anything, it could be her change in diet now that she's being spoiled. If her poo was normal until now, I don't think it's related to her illness. Also, remember every 8th poop or so comes from the cecum, those are the brown stinky ones, so it could be that if it's just the one.

Does she have any of the following symptoms in addition to the lame leg?
  • Vision impairment, with a change in the eye color showing a grey iris or irregular pupil.
  • Skin change in texture around the feather follicles, often appearing raised and bumpy.
  • Lameness and leg weakness without any visible signs of swelling or heat within the limb.

• Vision impairment, with a change in the eye color showing a grey iris or irregular pupil.
  • Skin change in texture around the feather follicles, often appearing raised and bumpy.
  • Lameness and leg weakness without any visible signs of swelling or heat within the limb.
Oh no don't say the M word.

She got her foot stuck in the coop about 2 weeks ago and she still has some heat in her hip. Is that ok?

Back
Top Bottom