Need info on keets with adult guineas and hens

minaayindra

Songster
5 Years
Question re: guinea keets and raising them with a broody hen:

I have a flock of only 4 guineas due to woefully inadequate planning last year. I also have 3 males with only one female. The female has laid 2 eggs and left them on the floor of their coop but she has shown no signs of wanting to put them together and nest with them; she has laid no eggs in the last 5 days. I absolutely need to get more guineas for this tiny flock because they have insufficient numbers to keep everyone happy and to fulfill all the necessary roles they have. I have ordered fertilized guinea eggs which will arrive in a few weeks. A couple of my hens are broody so it might be an option to put the eggs under them.

One lives in her own separate coop but the rooster stays with her at night- will he hurt the new keets or assume they are his?

The other lives in a group of 11 with some very forceful personalities (she is the second in the pecking order). Will the other hens try to hurt the keets just because they aren't theirs? They all seem to like to sit on everyone's eggs in turn.

I don't know how many eggs one hen can sit on and I also don't know if the moms will be able to keep the keets sufficiently warm when they hatch in early July.

MOST importantly, will the existing adult guineas accept the little guys if they encounter them outside with a hen? They were raised by one of the hens I'm speaking about but I don't know how they would take to a new set of keets wandering around outside, particularly with a hen in tow. I need the guineas to all get along so they can make a sufficient flock.

Sorry for so many questions but the more I thought about the eggs, the more concerned I became about these issues. Thanks-

Question re: guinea keets and raising them with a broody hen:

I have a flock of only 4 guineas due to woefully inadequate planning last year. I also have 3 males with only one female. The female has laid 2 eggs and left them on the floor of their coop but she has shown no signs of wanting to put them together and nest with them; she has laid no eggs in the last 5 days. I absolutely need to get more guineas for this tiny flock because they have insufficient numbers to keep everyone happy and to fulfill all the necessary roles they have. I have ordered fertilized guinea eggs which will arrive in a few weeks. A couple of my hens are broody so it might be an option to put the eggs under them.

One lives in her own separate coop but the rooster stays with her at night- will he hurt the new keets or assume they are his?

The other lives in a group of 11 with some very forceful personalities (she is the second in the pecking order). Will the other hens try to hurt the keets just because they aren't theirs? They all seem to like to sit on everyone's eggs in turn.

I don't know how many eggs one hen can sit on and I also don't know if the moms will be able to keep the keets sufficiently warm when they hatch in early July.

MOST importantly, will the existing adult guineas accept the little guys if they encounter them outside with a hen? They were raised by one of the hens I'm speaking about but I don't know how they would take to a new set of keets wandering around outside, particularly with a hen in tow. I need the guineas to all get along so they can make a sufficient flock.

Sorry for so many questions but the more I thought about the eggs, the more concerned I became about these issues. Thanks-
I’ve had poor luck with guinea keets raised with chicks, as they turned out to be too aggressive for the chickens and ducks. So, I’m not sure what to suggest about using broody hens... I try to rear mine separate so they ignore the other fowl.

I will not have any other chicks for them to interact with, so that’s not an issue. The one hen successfully raised my first 4 guineas but I eventually separated them out so they could bond and form their own flock. I have more concern about the rooster or more dominant hens hurting the keets. Do you know if that is a significant risk?

I will not have any other chicks for them to interact with, so that’s not an issue. The one hen successfully raised my first 4 guineas but I eventually separated them out so they could bond and form their own flock. I have more concern about the rooster or more dominant hens hurting the keets. Do you know if that is a significant risk?
Don’t know myself - I’m worrying about my roo attacking the chicks that are his babies! I would think that a roo would treat all of his hens’ babies the same, whatever the species?

Don’t know myself - I’m worrying about my roo attacking the chicks that are his babies! I would think that a roo would treat all of his hens’ babies the same, whatever the species?
Unlike other poultry, guinea cocks often take an active role in raising keets if they are being raised as part of the flock.

Then can the broody hens hatch them and I place them over with the Guinea mother, who doesn’t show any nesting interest, or leave them with the broody hens for a while?
A guinea hen that has not been broody is not very likely to accept newly hatched keets. When I used broody chicken hens to hatch guinea eggs, I would move the keets to the brooder as soon as they were dry and fluffed. Some people let their broody chickens raise the keets. I don't because of the problems that imprinting can cause when the guineas are fully grown.

I'm thinking of putting some straw in the corner of the guinea coop and then place all the eggs I ordered and see if she will sit on them. I now have 4 under a hen but the 12 coming June 8 will hopefully be enticing for her.
That is a good way to waste your money on those eggs. If a hen isn't broody, putting eggs out there is not going to make her go broody.

Not all guinea hens will go broody.

Okay, then I guess I'm back to the broody hens no matter what. I don't know how many eggs a hen can handle but I will have to split them up between my most enthused wanna-be moms (unless hens can handle 6 apiece). Maybe if I send them out with the hens when the moms think it is safe to do so, the guineas might eventually incorporate the keets into their very tiny group.

Back
Top Bottom