Need quick answer - "bedding" for mealworms?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
What can I use in my mealworm container?

Does it have to be wheat germ or can I use corn meal?

TIA
smile.png

I think the most popular choice is wheat bran, not wheat germ. Some people also use rolled oats, cornmeal, unmedicated chick starter or a combination of some of those.

Quote:
Sorry I meant wheat bran. I just have wheat germ on the brain cuz I had some this morning.

I like toasted wheat germ. It tastes nutty to me. I like to stir it into my yogurt, with a few sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pecans and a little fruit.
big_smile.png

I read there's a zoo that feeds their darkling beetles monkey chow, in addition to carrots, apples and romaine lettuce.

Quote:
OT- My kids were school age before they learned that peanut butter sandwiches are usually made with peanut butter and jelly. At home all they'd ever had was pb and wheat germ or pb and honey sandwiches.

I use wheat bran, but I've read that you can use chick mash, rolled oats... they eat grain so any type seems to be fine. Mine are doing great with the bran and it's so cheap to buy in bulk. Good luck!

ETA: If you are going to be sifting the larvae from the pupae and eggs, you might want to consider that when you're thinking about the bedding. The bigger the flakes of bedding, the more difficult the sifting will be.

Last edited:
Quote:
OT- My kids were school age before they learned that peanut butter sandwiches are usually made with peanut butter and jelly. At home all they'd ever had was pb and wheat germ or pb and honey sandwiches.

Mmmmm... pb & honey!
droolin.gif
Love that combo!

mealworm are insects so I'm sure you could use cornmeal but yes wheatbran is the most popular choice but people on the mealworm forum have successfully used a variety of bedding including

crushed catfood
chick starter
any chicken food crush is pelleted
rolled oats
cereal

Back
Top Bottom