Need recommendation for mosquito outdoor sprays/foggers that won't hurt chickens.

Mtn Laurel

Crowing
11 Years
May 18, 2012
Northern Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
The mosquito's are horrible this year due to an unusually wet spring and summer. The chickens don't seem to be bothered by them but they're tearing my family up. We can't go out to work with the chickens or work our garden without covering ourselves head-to-toe. We need to treat our grass and garden but am concerned about impact on the chickens.

We're looking at both foggers and sprays that you apply via your garden hose. Our coop is in our backyard, not far from our garden. The girls are in a run that would not be treated but we need to treat the grass outside the run. Reading the specs on the different sprays indicate they're "safe for pets" but I'm sure the manufacturer is thinking the dog or cat that comes out into the yard after the chemical has been applied.

Does anyone have any experience with any type of mosquito control, spray, or fogger that wouldn't be detrimental to the chickens? I have chicks as young as 4 weeks out there.

Thanks for any input.

The mosquito's are horrible this year due to an unusually wet spring and summer. The chickens don't seem to be bothered by them but they're tearing my family up. We can't go out to work with the chickens or work our garden without covering ourselves head-to-toe. We need to treat our grass and garden but am concerned about impact on the chickens.

We're looking at both foggers and sprays that you apply via your garden hose. Our coop is in our backyard, not far from our garden. The girls are in a run that would not be treated but we need to treat the grass outside the run. Reading the specs on the different sprays indicate they're "safe for pets" but I'm sure the manufacturer is thinking the dog or cat that comes out into the yard after the chemical has been applied.

Does anyone have any experience with any type of mosquito control, spray, or fogger that wouldn't be detrimental to the chickens? I have chicks as young as 4 weeks out there.

Thanks for any input.

Personally, I would not use any fogger/spray anywhere the birds are going to be. It has been my experience that claims of 'pet safe' are usually greatly overstated in order to sell the product. Thee mosquitoes have been super abundant here also. We use a product called 'Buzz Away'. It's a little pricey, but it lasts for ages and contains no toxic chemicals.

Mosquitoes are hard to control.. Best is to keep their breeding areas dry if possible. Harder if you have standing water ponds in area... If you kill the ones in your immediate area, you can be assured that replacement from neighboring areas will soon arrive. In all seriousness, try to see if you would be able to attract bats to your area. It is a little tricky. A bat will eat about 1500 mosquitoes each night. The way we at home deal with them , when sitting on our patio in the evening, we place a fan blowing air at us. They do not like wind.

WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

The mosquitoes have been horrible here too this year. Anything that kills them will also kill every other insect, fish, and amphibians around. Bees and butterflies are in enough trouble without me adding to their woes, and I won't spray anything out there. I use deet on me and swear a lot when outside.
duc.gif
Mary

Thanks for your input. Additional voices was what I needed to convince DH to NOT attempt any spray or fogger.

We're in the woods and have had many bats in the past but haven't seen any this year. Don't know why as I sure with they were around and I'm frightened to death of bats. (Goes back to a horrible 4-H camp experience in my elementary years! LOL!)

We've worked to eliminate any standing water but it's impossible with the rain we've been getting almost daily as water is literally standing in our yard. Our squash have rotted at the roots due to moisture. We did invest in a bug zapper and it's so full of dead bugs that we have to empty it daily.

We keep fans on the girls coop and run. At least the chickens aren't having any mosquito problems! I may just go and hang out with them 24/7.

Bug zappers tend to get moths, not mosquitoes. The bats have been dying in droves due to a fungus infection (I think), very sad. I'd rather have more bats and fewer mosquitoes, myself. Mary

I'd wondered where "my" bats were this year, I hope they haven't succumbed to some kind of fungus or disease, but that might be why they're sparse. Last year we had gobs of them flying around near the flood lights, so much so, that you'd have to duck your head and watch your hair if you stepped off the porch. This year I have tons of bugs and no bats. Very sad :/

Go do a google search " bat houses " images and you can get idea on how to make your own.. There are also kits that you can buy. Possibilities are plentiful.
Here is just a random image

I did say it may be tricky.. What I meant is it may be tricky renting them out.
gig.gif
Once they would get established in your area, they would be foolish to leave.. If you do decide on having bat houses, read up on the best location, height, and orientation to sunlight.

Edit.... Just wanted to add this link with some more information on bats.
http://buildipedia.com/at-home/landscaping/natural-pest-control-benefits-of-bat-houses

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom