need some help with our new hen is she sick or broody

Pick her up and see if you can feel her keel bone. If she is skinny she may have worms which will make her limp, hence limp or weak legged. Also look for parasites in her feathers or around her vent. I would get some liquid Safeguard for goats, TSC has it, 1 cc down the throat in her weaken state, then wait 5-6 days and give 1 cc again. I would not use Ivomec right now as she is very weak. If you see bugs on her, use some seven dust and dust under her wings, vent etc... real good. If you see very bright yellow poop it could be another problem, but I think worms might be her problem.

Ok if she has never been wormed , give her the safe guard......would give her a shot of tylan...sound like she is pretty bad..could be blackhead...maybe a trip to a bird vet.

Quote:
Wazine only works for round worms..... Safeguard will kill off many others. Also like Deerman suggested with the Tylan, if you notice yellow poop balckhead could be a problem, especially if they were kept around chickens. Blackhead diease can be cured if caught in time, I use a fish med called Fish Zole as it is easily found. The active ingredient helps kill off the organism.

As much as i don't like giving a shot of tylan in the breast(can harm the muscle) as far as she is down, not able to walk, give her the shot works faster. for 3 days. Safe guard for sure. I am not a Vet. but if she was mine that what i would do first. like chickenzoo said treat for black head if you think that may be the case.

Worms and cocci both will take them down also. has she been on medicated feed ??

bad thing about trying to guess from info on line.....is she light or still have alot of weight on her??

if she is still heavy check her vent to see if she may be egg bound. In the pic looks like she is trying to lay.

Don't give the shots in the breast, Give her the shot in the back of the neck just under the skin about 3" above where the wings meet the back of her neck. But she looks like she is Egg Bound and sometimes you will have to help if she don't pass it soon, I have never had one get Egg bound so I can't help.

Quote:
Steve the shot in the breast works faster, and I would only do that in case where the bird doesn't look like it will be able to wait a few days. Other wise i give it orally. Reason because it can damage the muscle, but better than letting a bird die.

The bird is sick, that's not what a broody hen looks like. If its not too late, follow the advice of others, if you're going to give her a shot in the chest, be sure you don't hit anything vital like her crop or any other organ. I'd be very afraid to give a shot to a bird. Look up dosing orally, I did that with mine when she couldn't walk or keep her balance (thanks again Chickenzoo) and she recovered fully and hatched out babies this year. First day I gave her Safeguard, the next five days I gave her a mixture of small amounts of corrid and metronidazole (I just gave her a small amount that looked about right, didnt measure it). Also, kept her on electrolytes, a few syringes of warm water, and baby bird handfeeding formula and kept her in a crate with a light, taking her out for fresh air a few hours each day. Her windpipe was easy to locate and I had a syringe with a tube that I just put straight down her throat to administer all that. She was near death and I suspect she had blackhead.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

-Nathan

ETA: I dont see why she'd need an antibiotic unless she had signs of infection, I am willing to bet its some type of internal parasites or a combination. And mine also fell ill right after I had got her. She's been fine ever since.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom