Neighbor using strobe lights at coop at 5 every morning... remodel fix ideas?

Henny Jenny

Chirping
Aug 6, 2022
We have a coop and run combo and some very lovely hens and one adorable rooster that are great. We have had them for 3 years now and they are wonderful! We keep them very clean and happy. We have a neighbor that does not want us to have a rooster so he shines a light at our coop every morning between 4:30am and 5:30am to get him to crow in the coop to bother the other neighbors. We are currently going through the court systems so yes he may have some bigger issues.

Here is what I am asking for help with. We built the coop so that the ventilation is the top few inches at the very top of the walls underneath the roof. It would be one thing if it were just a light that was on but he manually flashes a spotlight on and off of the coop every morning. (he can hit three of the four sides with his lights) Sometimes he does it on and off for several hours and he also plays gun shots and acoustic beats, etc from speakers to wake him and get him to crow as well.

While we are waiting for the court system to do it's thing we are trying to come up with a solution to block the light from coming in the coop while keeping the ventilation good for the chickens and keeping the other neighbors happy. (it's not good having a rooster crowing at 4:30 in the dark regardless of the reason, for the neighbors or the chickens). I thought about closing in all but one side of the coop and putting a whirly bird on top of the coop but I'm afraid a light shined on that will also reflect down into the coop. I've considered putting foil on the roof inside between the rafters and tacking it down on the sides but I worry about ventilation and I still believe some light will seep in. I've also considered putting a fan in the top of the coop to help with the noise. I tried a noise maker and put foil on the door but it doesn't help when the light is flashed on the coop ceiling from outside or when his loud speakers are played. I'm considering Rockwool insulation to the ceiling but worry about ventilation. The coop is 10 x 14 and the run is 14 x 30. I'm considering 4 large posts and a reflective tarp at this point but that would be rather expensive. I am an older lady so I want to do it once and I really want my chickens to be safe. Any suggestions?

I am so sorry this is happening to you. It may be best to call the police each time he comes onto your property to harass your chickens. When you call the police, you can file more reports on him and gather more for your case against him. Also with the loud speakers, you can file a noise complaint as well. Try to document when he is on your property with photos and/or videos. You could also possibly try to get a motion activated sprinkler to chase him off.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. It may be best to call the police each time he comes onto your property to harass your chickens. When you call the police, you can file more reports on him and gather more for your case against him. Also with the loud speakers, you can file a noise complaint as well. Try to document when he is on your property with photos and/or videos. You could also possibly try to get a motion activated sprinkler to chase him off.
Thank you for your kind words. You are 100% correct on the case. He is actually doing it from his property across the street with a high powered light.

Can you throw a heavy duty, large tarp over the coop at night, and stick some scrap wood or plastic containers between tarp and the coop as to create a barrier for airflow? I would only suggest this if you are in a mild-cooler climate since the tarp will likely affect ventilation somewhat, but it would help block out light for the time being, at least. Your neighbor sounds nuts!

We have a coop and run combo and some very lovely hens and one adorable rooster that are great. We have had them for 3 years now and they are wonderful! We keep them very clean and happy. We have a neighbor that does not want us to have a rooster so he shines a light at our coop every morning between 4:30am and 5:30am to get him to crow in the coop to bother the other neighbors. We are currently going through the court systems so yes he may have some bigger issues.

Here is what I am asking for help with. We built the coop so that the ventilation is the top few inches at the very top of the walls underneath the roof. It would be one thing if it were just a light that was on but he manually flashes a spotlight on and off of the coop every morning. (he can hit three of the four sides with his lights) Sometimes he does it on and off for several hours and he also plays gun shots and acoustic beats, etc from speakers to wake him and get him to crow as well.

While we are waiting for the court system to do it's thing we are trying to come up with a solution to block the light from coming in the coop while keeping the ventilation good for the chickens and keeping the other neighbors happy. (it's not good having a rooster crowing at 4:30 in the dark regardless of the reason, for the neighbors or the chickens). I thought about closing in all but one side of the coop and putting a whirly bird on top of the coop but I'm afraid a light shined on that will also reflect down into the coop. I've considered putting foil on the roof inside between the rafters and tacking it down on the sides but I worry about ventilation and I still believe some light will seep in. I've also considered putting a fan in the top of the coop to help with the noise. I tried a noise maker and put foil on the door but it doesn't help when the light is flashed on the coop ceiling from outside or when his loud speakers are played. I'm considering Rockwool insulation to the ceiling but worry about ventilation. The coop is 10 x 14 and the run is 14 x 30. I'm considering 4 large posts and a reflective tarp at this point but that would be rather expensive. I am an older lady so I want to do it once and I really want my chickens to be safe. Any suggestions?
I'd get a couple boxes of those mirrored ceiling tiles and tack them around the top of your coop that faces him. The other sides won't reflect back so he could still fart around with trying to shine a light in there. Or, maybe extend a tile beyond the side facing him on both ends so maybe his light can't get around them.

The other thing I'd do is first get pictures of him doing that, then get a spotlight in the coop and aim it at his house. What's he going to say?

Makes me sick to hear what you're going through 😔, sorry to have such a mean neighbor 😡

Back
Top Bottom