Nest Boxes inside or out and Feed Storage?

sojeo

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Scotsburn
We have some nest boxes taken from an old coop that was on our property. They are just long boards, divided into boxes, made with very thick, wide barn boards.

My problem is that I can't decide if we should hang them on the outside to maximize the internal area of the coop or hang them inside and somehow build a storage area above them. We live in Nova Scotia, CAN and it gets pretty darn cold and snowy here in the winter. Will the nest boxes be colder if they are mounted on the outside?

My second question is how does everyone store their feed? Our coop is quite small and the bags of feed, scratch and DE are taking up needed floor space. I'm thinking that we could build a storage unit above the nest boxes if inside. My DH suggested building a storage box outside, but I don't think that would work in winter, I'd spend an hour just shovelling the snow off of it.

Thirdly, what do you store the feed in? My father suggested metal garbage cans to keep the mice out, but they are almost $30 a piece! Maybe rubbermaid containters? Just leave it in the bags???

I'm very curious how other people have theirs setup, what works for them, what they wish they could change, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I would put the nesting boxes on the inside of the hen house, to keep the eggs from freezing. I live in Minnesota where it usually gets to -30`F in the winter, all of my boxes are inside. I have a food container hanging in their house that I fill up for them. I keep all of my food in a big 55 gallon metal drum that is outside of the chicken’s fence so I don't need to walk a long way. Hope this helps. I still don't know how to keep their water from freezing.
hmm.png

Oh, never thought about eggs freezing! Good call. I think inside is best anyways, that way I can build a storage area over the nest boxes and then still have roost space above that and walking around space below them.

For their water in winter, I bought a heated water dish from the Coop. I don't know what type of animal it is used for, but it is very large. I picked up an empty plastic mayo container from the grocery deli section and fill that up with water and invert it into the large dish. Works like a charm now, but the test will be come the middle of winter to see if it does actually prevent the water from freezing.

Quote:
If you hang them on the outside, and don't check your eggs multiple times a day, they will probably freeze in an exterior box. That's why I didn't get one either. If you can, maybe you could mount your nestbox about 20-24 inches off the ground to provide some head space underneath? You could probably even put their food under there...

Quote:
I keep mine on a shelf in the garage, in $4 plastic totes to keep the mice out. Works great as long as you remember to put the lid on. But I do keep pickle-jar sized jars inside the coop on a shelf for quick refills. They last about a week or so and then I just refill them in the garage.

IMG_3008.jpg

I've also seen a very ingenious set-up with the nest-box on the bottom and the sloped roof above that actually hinges up with shelves on the inside. You could hold smaller amounts of feed on the shelves. You'd need to build sides to the shelves, but that's not exactly difficult.

PS - You'll be glad you bought the heated water dish come November.

Glad I asked, frozen eggs are not good at all!

What a lovely coop you have and your jars of feed are pretty on the shelf. Yes, that design with the slanted cupboard is exactly what I was thinking of and very doable for me with my limited carpentry skills (though I just installed 2 window/vents and the pop door by myself
big_smile.png
). I could get more of those mayo containers with the handles, they would be perfect for storing small amounts of feed in, the rest can just go in the woodshed or the barn.

Hopefully the heated water bowl is going to do the trick. There was a heated stand for the waterer as well, but it was fairly expensive and the bowl wasn't. Our little project has somehow turned into a big project and costing way more than I had anticipated! Now I'm wondering about insulating the coop! How much is that going to cost!

thank you, hon.

Well, I don't remember what the insulation cost, but for my climate, it was a no-brainer. It will get -25F to -30 no problem here. Likewise, my coop ran WAY MORE money than I expected, but it has been really, really safe for the chooks and user friendly for me, so I guess it was worth it.

If I can remember where I saw that nest box with the hinged roof, I'll PM you. It was quite a while ago that I saw it.

I bought it from my local Coop farm supply. It's a big blue plastic dish with a cord underneath to plug it in. I really haven't a clue what kind of animal it is intended for and I don't believe that they have a website, sorry! Maybe there is something at your local feed store suitable?

Outside is convenient, but for cold climates, inside is the way to go.

We built our coop with a divider at one end, sort of a fake inside wall. The nesting boxes are through the wall into a utility area that has it's own outside doors, and we use the rest of the space for storing feed and scratch in plastic containers.

We have inside and outside walls with studs in between on the coop, and put R13 insulation between the walls. Keeps things warm in winter and cool in the summer.

Don't just tack insulation onto the inside of a single wall; I've been told they may eat it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom