Nevadans?

Quote:
lau.gif
LOL, wow you really are a BYC addict, aren't you?

Thank you all for the kind words about my birds
smile.png

NVRon - which roo might you be interested in (can possibly put him on the end of the list)? I also have up and coming cockerels who just have not made it into the grow out pen yet. I have a couple more Orp/EE's (blues with some leakage on shoulders/hackles) - these younger ones do have both beards and muffs. Plus two more Orpingtons - Splash over buff hen PLUS I have a huge, huge Orp/BR cockerel - he is more of a blueish barred bird with some red leakage starting on his wings/shoulders. I also have a couple of splash Orpington cockerels whom I am hanging on to right now (one is a Versace son, the other from Gumpgirls stock - BYC member) - who are possibly available. More land is always great. Meat hogs....................mmmmmmmmmm...........bacon
droolin.gif
Nice thick chops
droolin.gif
BSL - black sex links?

I keep looking at that bator also. Caring for 600 might just send me over the edge, I think 300 would push me awfully close
wink.png

Sunny, Hope you get that incubator together. It makes a whole new dimension to chicken keeping. A whole new list of things to stress about lol.

Lacy. Right now we have 3 pens. 2 are smaller 4 feet by 8 feet that are meant to hold a quad of breeders. the other is over twice that big and is the grow out pen. so far most of our birds are in the grow out area but we have one pair that need a place of their own. the two smaller pens each have a pair in them already.

one of our cockerels is a squeaker. I wish I had a video camera with sound. I would tape it for all of you. His crow sounds more like a door hinge squeaking than a crow.

HorseFeatherz NV What a day yesterday! Thunder, lightning, wind, rain, hail, flooding and power outage.
th.gif
Ran around like a crazy chicken lady getting everyone in who needed help, trying to shield them from the grape sized hail. Course not a drop fell on the fire - which I can see from my house.

These cockerels are in my grow-out pen and are lovely eye candy. I thought I would show them here, see if anyone is interested or knows anyone looking for a cockerel – they have a date with freezer camp, so their time is limited. Hatched March 1st or 2nd.

Been wonderin' where the fire (s) was. We been seein' smoke in the sky o'r here in Elko County.....there more than one fire burnin' in Calif?

WOW those are some great lookin' roo's......beautiful colors!

lol.png
well I'm relieved to read that my birds wernt the only ones bein' sent to "freezer camp"
lol.png

Kept that we'd BQ'd the older birds to make room for new & younger birds under the chair
hide.gif

They were the first birds we bought from a lady in Osino......turned out they were older than she indicated.

NevadaRon Wishin' ya oodles of energy! With 9.64 acres yer gunna have work to do!!
lol.png

We retired on 60 acres and we never sit still
gig.gif

We moved from Las Vegas to Elko County, waaaaaaay out in the boonies with BLM land to the west so we never have to see houses out our front window.
We were thinkin' we'd be free from neighbors with attitudes........but them neighbors with attitudes are out here as well
hmm.png

Wherever therz people I reckon ther will be some friction of some kind.
tongue.png

[b :

NevadaRon[/b]]
Quote:
lau.gif
LOL, wow you really are a BYC addict, aren't you?

Yea, there's probably a 12 step program out there but I'm just not ready to ask for help yet.
lol.png

Genny your EE/Orp gal has settled in quite well. just checked on her about 20 mins ago and she is foraging with the big gals! Course she is as big as her look-a-likes even though she is 3 weeks younger. She even (tentatively) came out for some greens I tossed them.

Penturner, it is a learning process. The first incubator I built was super primitive so now I have to figure out how to install these extra gadgets I've ordered.
hmm.png

Bloomie, most of the fires are in Nevada from Reno to Lovelock. That system that came through and dumped all that hail on us also touched off several fires. From what I've heard on the news almost all of them are completely contained or pretty close. The one north Of Genny (Horsefeatherz) is the only one I've heard of that's across the border in CA.

NevadaRon I just grabbed up another one of Genny's gals. Sorry, I couldn't let you have them all!
big_smile.png

SunnyDawn
Bloomie, most of the fires are in Nevada from Reno to Lovelock. That system that came through and dumped all that hail on us also touched off several fires. From what I've heard on the news almost all of them are completely contained or pretty close. The one north Of Genny (Horsefeatherz) is the only one I've heard of that's across the border in CA.

I see that now
duc.gif
......looked up the info on National Interagency Fire Center.
smack.gif

Been outta touch with the news since the granchickie's arrival.
We didnt get the hail from that storm system yesterday.....lots of wind and lightening/thunder tho. Would've been a garden disaster to have grape size hail!!
Harvested zucchini for lunch today
droolin.gif
it was delicious!

Did ya share how yer buildin' yer new incubator? I scrolled backward but didnt read a description.
I remember ya telling me about the "primitive" bator, which astonished me ya could actually hatch with so little.

Not very impressed with the LG Forced Air Incubator. For $100 bill I bet one could build a much more reliable unit.....aint gunna be meeeee tho
lau.gif
My incubating days are behind me........for awhile.
wink.png

Hello everybody, I see that you guys have been busy again. All the car talk, fires, incubators, insomnia, and everything. I have a 3rd generation '59 Chevy Apache 10 short/wide bed truck that I need to restore. When my grandma owned it, it had a 283 V8 with pop-up pistons, hi-lift cam, and solid lifters! I'm going back to the original straight 6 and the blue-green color. Sorry, I don't have any pics. I do like a good muscle ('stanges, 'cudas, cougar, novas, anything with an SS in the name!) car though.
big_smile.png

So, who's buying the incubator? SunnyDawn, have you ever tried melatonin? My son and wife both take it in the timed-release form and it does wonders for them both. PM me if you want some more info, it is all natural and non-addictive. (Unlike BYC or chickens, which I would know nothing about.
hmm.png
) Good luck with all the fire stuff northerners.

Quote:
I didn't see anybody else weigh in so here is my 2 cents. They can get too much of a good thing; especially at time like lots of growth, molting, or egg production when they need the extra protein but would rather eat the treats which fills them up or dilutes the protein content of their diet. That is also the reason why I cut back, a lot, on scratch/grains during molt and for the layers.

lol i think im a little addicted to byc too. I saw ke_ben had posted last on the Where are you/I? Thread and im like 'heck ya, one of ours!!'

Does anyone know about drying peppers? Idk if i just tie them up and hand them like herbs or somthing, im still learning. And can you guys actually have producing gardens out here? Ive tried, but they never get enough water.
hmm.png
Any tips for a novice?

Nice day today, i love the heat.
tongue.png

Quote:
Well, I haven't done much so far. I don't need it up and running 'til next year. I did buy a used cabinet at my local Habitat for Humanity store for 15 bucks. I wanted an old wine frig but all my calls and a search on CL turned up nothing affordable (I'm really cheap, I mean frugal
hide.gif
). I'm going to put plexiglass on the top with a wood frame. This will be permanently attached and caulked. The front door will get a window inserted into it (plexiglass again) with weather stripping attached where door meets frame.

I have ordered 2 auto turning trays so I can hatch 82 eggs at a time without having to be a slave to the 'bator but I plan on starting out slowly. I have a wafer thermostat but will probably only use it for back up. I will pick up an electric thermostat at the hardware store which will be wired to a heat lamp (due to large size of 'bator) which will be mounted inside an old coffee can on the bottom of cab on top of insulating mat. Insides of cab will be lined with styrofoam then with something very easy to clean being placed over that.

Vent holes will just be drilled through these layers at the bottom sides. A fan is a must in a cabinet style 'bator, especially with multiple trays but I haven't found one yet. A PVC tube leading to the outside of cab will fill up the water reservoir for humidity with a hygrometer also punched (drilled) through the side of cab with a wick attached leading to reservoir. I also have an oven thermometer with a programmable digital readout (this attaches to exterior of cab, with the probe on the inside). This will beep loudly if the temps go above 102 F. This is just to alert me in case of temperature spikes.

I'm probably leaving something out but I'll post pics as I go along. Any helpful hints or suggestions from you seasoned DIYers?
caf.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom