New dog advice.

Pics

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi everyone,

So, an interesting story. My father was out with customers, doing visits and stuff, when they came across a stray dog. The dog had a collar, but was very skittish and shy. It was also very thin, obviously hadn’t eaten for a few days. After 15 minutes, my father was able to show the dog he was not a threat, and the dog came closer and closer. My father was able to take him to a no kill shelter.

It has been about two days, tomorrow will be day three. Nobody has claimed the dog, unfortunately. No ID tag, no chip inside to tell the owner, nothing. It’s sad that nobody claimed the dog.

Tomorrow, we are doing a foster trial run, to see if we can adopt the dog. I just need some advice from you guys.

Before I go onto the questions, let me give some details and pictures.

It appears to be an English pointer. Age is unknown. He is neutered. Has a collar with no ID tag.

The shelter was kind enough to let us take pictures. Here they are:

CABDDF50-2F53-41BB-AEAA-B08B5F6F17BE.png

0F2EF786-3EA4-45E0-A10A-BCD8C0CDBE3E.png

E575E3F1-21C9-4C9B-AB67-D00C79721282.png

Now, my questions.

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for when we’re doing this trial run?

How can I tell if he’s trained in certain ways, like being able to go to the bathroom outside, for example?

Do you think he would get along with a 12 year old mutt?

Can someone confirm if this is an English pointer or not?

Any way of knowing how old the dog is?

I will post updates as I go along, I’m picking him up tomorrow.

Any help and advice will be appreciated,

Jared

he does not have pointer ears. So something else might be in the woodworks there.
He is a cutie.
Since you are going to foster him, keep him on a leash when outside.
Unless you have like a bomb proof fence. 10 foot tall, dug in 3 and bend inward on the top.
The pup may have been abandoned, he could also have gotten out. My neighbors have dogs (constantly) that won't stay in the fence. One just got hit in the road a few weeks back.
Or he got in somebody's car. Happens a lot. So he might not be from anywhere near you. The chances of that are small though.

Introduce the resident pooch slowly to the new guy. It depends on their personalities. Some dogs do not like company. Others are meh about it, others yet enjoy it. Have a crate handy. You don't want to find out at feeding time that they do not like another dog looking at their bowl. It could get ugly!
I look at crates as puppy rooms, not cages. They can be heaven-sent.
As to age, no telling. He does not look old though maybe a couple of years old? He definitely looks cute.

I adopted a full grown boy many years ago. Loved him to bits, but here's what I would watch out for if doing it again:

1. Fearful dogs may always be that way despite their new bonds with you and your family. They might have unexpected phobias of certain size people, or men vs. women. Mine was horrified of squeaker toys because someone punished him for playing with them. He was also always avoidant with men. Poor thing. So be expecting quirks that may be difficult to handle.

2. Assuming this dog does have fearfulness and triggers, is everyone in your household sensible enough to be safe and respectful of his boundaries? I.e. kids may not be safe. My boy was not okay with anyone on face level and he threatened several adults who were just standing around me. I never could trust him with children and it was wise not to. This is not the dog's fault obviously but safety is priority 1.

3. Separation anxiety is the worst and mine had it in spades. If this dog has it he may go from eating a couch, chewing out of wire crates (yes, it's possible) or using the entire house as a toilet. Can you handle the constant cleaning, purchase of new crates, or intensive training to modify such behavior?

Adoption is a beautiful thing and older dogs deserve their chance. But people have a horrible habit of ruining them mentally and then abandoning them with no history to prepare any future owner. I was horribly inexperienced when I chose adoption and, knowing now I'm not good enough to rehabilitate such serious issues, I'd be hesitant to take on such a case again. I'd ABSOLUTELY do a trial with a grown dog to evaluate their personality, fit, and potential fears before making a commitment.

That said, don't let me discourage you! This dog may just as well have none of these issues, but it's good to be prepared for curve balls. I wish you guys all the best!

How can I tell if he’s trained in certain ways, like being able to go to the bathroom outside, for example?
You will have to watch him while he is inside. Many house trained dogs will go to a door when they need to go outside.
Do you think he would get along with a 12 year old mutt?
Hard to say, all dogs are different. Do short and calm introductions spuratically until they are aquainted.
Can someone confirm if this is an English pointer or not?
Looks to have pointer in him but I think he looks mixed.
Any way of knowing how old the dog is?
Vet should be able to give you an idea.

Hes so cute and I hope he works out for you! Pointers need lots of excersize so keep that in mind. They also have a high prey drive. Be patient with him and give him time to adjust. You dont know his background so there could always be some baggage, but if you stay consistant with him you will be just fine.

I adopted a full grown boy many years ago. Loved him to bits, but here's what I would watch out for if doing it again:

1. Fearful dogs may always be that way despite their new bonds with you and your family. They might have unexpected phobias of certain size people, or men vs. women. Mine was horrified of squeaker toys because someone punished him for playing with them. He was also always avoidant with men. Poor thing. So be expecting quirks that may be difficult to handle.

2. Assuming this dog does have fearfulness and triggers, is everyone in your household sensible enough to be safe and respectful of his boundaries? I.e. kids may not be safe. My boy was not okay with anyone on face level and he threatened several adults who were just standing around me. I never could trust him with children and it was wise not to. This is not the dog's fault obviously but safety is priority 1.

3. Separation anxiety is the worst and mine had it in spades. If this dog has it he may go from eating a couch, chewing out of wire crates (yes, it's possible) or using the entire house as a toilet. Can you handle the constant cleaning, purchase of new crates, or intensive training to modify such behavior?

Adoption is a beautiful thing and older dogs deserve their chance. But people have a horrible habit of ruining them mentally and then abandoning them with no history to prepare any future owner. I was horribly inexperienced when I chose adoption and, knowing now I'm not good enough to rehabilitate such serious issues, I'd be hesitant to take on such a case again. I'd ABSOLUTELY do a trial with a grown dog to evaluate their personality, fit, and potential fears before making a commitment.

That said, don't let me discourage you! This dog may just as well have none of these issues, but it's good to be prepared for curve balls. I wish you guys all the best!
Jared....lots of questions. Think them ALL OUT.

No telling now but if he has pointer in him he might have natural instincts that would make him a good companion for you when you go bird hunting :D The shelter might be able to tell you if he waits to go outside for toilet time if given the opportunity.

My first dog was from the humane society, she had 2 issues - she was terribly afraid of brooms and wary of men. That suggests something of her prior life. She was also terribly afraid of firework noises. Other than that she was fine, already house trained, not aggressive to anyone.

You have many talents and I'm sure you can learn what is needed to train the dog. Could be just as a house pet but maybe also as a hunting dog.

As suggested, take introductions slow so the current dog doesn't feel threatened. They are pack animals and my GUESS is they will get along well after not too long if the current dog feels it is not losing position in your family pack.

You will have some idea if he has had any training when you walk him to the car on a leash. If he pulls hard, he hasn't been trained. He probably won't heel like a pro but if he's had any decent leash training he won't be dislocating your shoulder. If he is a puller, look into the leashes that attach to a head collar. When the leash is attached to the muzzle, pulling does not get the dog what it wants, it ends up turning back toward you.

Some people up the road got a rescue hound of some sort last year. And brilliantly put a harness on it. Yep, give the dog the upper hand by allowing it max pulling power with 4 leg drive pulling from the strongest part of his body. The dog took them where he wanted to go, arms outstretched to the max and at a speed beyond walking. He's gotten better but they are still using the harness and he still goes where he wants, he just doesn't pull as hard.

Back
Top Bottom