new from TX

welcome-byc.gif

The friendly, helpful and fun site!

thanks y'all
I feel mighty welcome

I am so ready to stop reading about chickens and just GET some chickens! Maybe when we get back from Arkansas the first of Jan...

wonder if hubby will mind chicks in the playroom?
wink.png

Of course, he won't mind...
thumbsup.gif

And the great thing about day old chicks is that they are really quiet at FIRST. By the time the chicks are noisy and messy, the kids will be attached. Then there will be 3 in the family that really LOVE the fuzzies. At that point, you have 3 against 1. Hint: Use the majority rule. Whenever it's time to get them out of the house, you can use your hubby's want to get them out to fuel building a coop! If you time everything just right, maybe you'll be able to get more than one coop!
wink.png

Sounds like it time to get your addiction consummated. Get the chicks!
wee.gif

What breed(s) have you decided to get?

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I am still debating the breed of chicks I want

I think I need to go to a hatchery or farm and look IRL. Maybe a chicken show. I just can't get a good feel of them looking at pics

We are waiting to get chicks til we get home in Jan.
I really should wait to get chicks til after my surgery so that I can take care of them as I will be very limited in what I can do and I don't think the dc will be fully able to care for them alone

Hi Autumn and welcome to BYC.
I'm going to be the spoil sport of the bunch and offer you one word of caution. Chicks create a ton of dust, as does their bedding. If you have a child with allergies you might want to wait until spring to get chicks and brood them somewhere other than in your house.
Just a friendly heads up.
smile.png

You will love this site Autumn! With all the sites I am registered on, this is the first one I go to in the morning while I have my orange juice and coffe. Even before I check the weather and news. The main thing I like about this site is they tolerate ME:)! Lots of good info, pictures and news about fowl.

Quote:
You could use the experience of the BYC people to "virtually cull" breeds before you go to a hatchery or show. A few quick qualities you may what to think about: size, purpose (eggs, meat, dual, ornamental), broody tendencies, temperament (quiet, noisy, friendly, mean, flighty, docile), cannibalistic tendencies, weather tolerance (cold, hot). Once you define your purpose, the choice will be much easier to make. No quality is better than the other. It just depends on what you want your chickens to be.

There is a lot of experience here on BYC. Any breed you might think of someone here has had! Simpler to rule out a breed before you raise them from chicks only to find they run from you when you wanted a lap bird... Or the pretty long tailed Japanese chicken that you planned on laying eggs only lays 50 - 80 per year. Of course, many people here have made these very mistakes only to laugh years later... I'm sorry my humor is off. I need to go to bed. This addiction thing.

Here are some suggestions if you can only have five, remember, variety is the spice of life.

And you will want girls that lay!

#1 Buff Orpington
#2 Americauna
#3 Pearl White Leghorn
#4 Cinnamon Queen
#5 White Top Blue Polish (I don't have one of these but would love to have one)

Howdy and welcome fellow Texan.

This site is very informative and addictive. I've also logged in just to find out and answer to something and end up spending hours reading the post, ideas, suggestions, etc. Lots of folks with lots of knowledge.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom