New(ish) to Chickens, Do I have a real problem? (Worms)

Apr 28, 2024
Hi All,
I'm almost three years into chickens and I have a new issues that I need help with and google is leading me in all sorts of directions. Two days ago, I had a girl drop a huge pile in front of me and I saw a worm. She is one of 13, ranging in age from 4 years to 6-7 months. I haven't seen any other worms in others (granted I'm not watching each one all day long and inspecting), but I do clean out their coop/run every day. They do free range each afternoon. Can someone please tell me what I need to do? I did purchase some Safeguard, but I am getting conflicting information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1714309160029.png
IMG_3783.PNG

Welcome to BYC.
The worm in the photo appears to be part of an excreted tapeworm, there also appears to be a couple of tapeworm segments on the feces.
You're going to have to purchase Equimax equine wormer which contains praziquantel in order to kill the tapeworm. Your feed store should have it in the Equine section.
You only have to dose the chicken that excreted the tapeworm/segments.
Equimax equine dosage is 0.03ml per pound of weight or 0.15ml for a 5lb chicken given orally, then repeated again in 10 days.
Just for your information, insects are the vector for tapeworm infections in poultry. Not all insects will cause tapeworm infections.
th3G3I95CG  equimax.jpg

Welcome to BYC.
The worm in the photo appears to be part of an excreted tapeworm, there also appears to be a couple of tapeworm segments on the feces.
You're going to have to purchase Equimax equine wormer which contains praziquantel in order to kill the tapeworm. Your feed store should have it in the Equine section.
You only have to dose the chicken that excreted the tapeworm/segments.
Equimax equine dosage is 0.03ml per pound of weight or 0.15ml for a 5lb chicken given orally, then repeated again in 10 days.
Just for your information, insects are the vector for tapeworm infections in poultry. Not all insects will cause tapeworm infections.
View attachment 3814864
Do I need to toss out the eggs of the treated bird? Would it hurt them if I treated one that didn't pass this. She is one of three identical ladies and I have a hard time telling them apart.

Back
Top Bottom