Not ready for Fall
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 17, 2018
southern indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 Pekin ducks and 1 drake. My girls just started laying at 19 and 19.5 weeks. One is laying soft shell eggs and the others are hard but relatively thin. Both are laying smaller eggs than my previous Pekin did. I fed meatbird to 17 weeks and then switched to all-flock. Should I offer oyster shell or other supplement? Should I feed layer feed? Or is it just something that will work itself out?

Just what is in the feed and occasional treat of frozen peas
I would provide a container of oyster shells or crushed egg shells. Most feeds don’t have enough calcium.
But previous layers didn’t have soft shells and I used same feed
It may have been changed at some point or they could have been finding a separate source of calcium on their own.

I have 2 Pekin ducks and 1 drake. My girls just started laying at 19 and 19.5 weeks. One is laying soft shell eggs and the others are hard but relatively thin. Both are laying smaller eggs than my previous Pekin did. I fed meatbird to 17 weeks and then switched to all-flock. Should I offer oyster shell or other supplement? Should I feed layer feed? Or is it just something that will work itself out?
When my girls were young this happened too. I got a mixed treat bag with calcium added from Walmart for pretty cheep. The girls loved it and it really helped. Now they're on oyster shells. Which still works but the treat bag works better.

This is what i got it worked great

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240908_182526_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240908_182526_Chrome.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom