montanabirdlady

Chirping
Aug 29, 2022
SW Montana
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am completely new to chickens! My grandmother grew up with my great grandmother and they raised meat birds, and lived off the grid homesteading.
I got my first chickens late April this year.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

7 pullets, atm 19 weeks
(3) What breeds do you have?

4 Barred Rock
1 Black Cochin
1 Golden Laced Wyandotte
1 Mixed Breed? Possibly EE, or other. It appears lavender and is a wild one (see pic below, this is from a few weeks ago, she has less long tail feathers now)
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Everything, gets me outside more often. I love watching their behaviors, taking care of them, and overall I have always loved birds. Plus some fresh eggs are a perk.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love skiing, cooking/baking from scratch, hiking, backcountry bow hunting in the mountains (mostly to harvest sustainable food), horseback riding, dog training, and love spending time with people.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live with my boyfriend of 2.5 years, our two dogs (Mini Long-haired dachshund and Irish Setter), our homing pigeons, feral mouser cat, and our two Siamese barn kitties. We ranch manage a place out in Montana. I am a Project Manager in General Construction.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Through thorough research before getting my chicks. I have actively read many many threads and forums, and finally decided to participate. Any tips are welcome!

Attachments

• coop.jpg
    coop.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 9
  • signs.jpg
    signs.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 4
  • some nesting boxes.jpg
    some nesting boxes.jpg
    684.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Bucks and Chickens.JPG
    Bucks and Chickens.JPG