New member Intro

Ecogoat

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2023
Hi there! I am a new member interested in having my hens raise their own chicks. I had hens as a kid but only “spent hens”, which laid lots of eggs but never went broody. We also had some bantams but still no broody hens. I got hens more recently about 3 years ago, starting with 5 year-okd hens just for eggs. Then a year ago I got some Legbars and others but only ended up with one hen of each breed (I had a lot of roosters!). I wanted the legbars because they were supposed to go broody but so far the one hasn’t. So this year I got some black chickens and mosaics and again had more than half roosters, lost some birds to various things but have one actual pair. And the black hen went broody as soon as she started to lay! Great except it’s winter and the barn is often below freezing and likely to get colder so I am not sure if the eggs would have stayed warm enough as she was laying but before she maybe started sitting. Guess we will find out soon as my best guess is that they’re due to hatch this week. Anyway, aside from the Ayam Cemani pair, I have 2 Mosaic roosters, 2 Maran hens, and one each of the following hens: Legbar, True Green Whiting, Wyandotte (though her eggs should be brown but are blue-green), and a Sanjack (long crower). I think that about covers my intro.

Back
Top Bottom