New member intro

BrahmaMama923

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2024
Hey everyone! I have been a member of the BYC Facebook group for a while now, but just found out about the app community! I’m so excited to get started here! I used the new member template to introduce myself below:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

A: I am pretty new to chickens. We got our first flock as chicks in September 2023. They are all 5.5 months old now and have started laying a beautiful rainbow of eggs!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

A: I have 20 chickens. 1 roo 19 hens. We didn’t not intend to have so many, and the story of how we ended up with 20 is a long one to be honest. To keep it short, 8 are from a hatchery order that we didn’t think would get delivered on time, and 12 are from Tractor Supply which were originally going to be replacements for our hatchery order.

(3) What breeds do you have?

A: Our roo is a light Brahma. Our hens consist of 1 dark Brahma, 5 welsummers, 4 Starlight olive eggers, 4 Wyandottes, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 barred rock, 1 Americana/easter egger and 2 crested cream legbars.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

A: Being a chicken mama is so fun. I love watching them grow and gain their own personalities. My kids have so much fun with this. It is also very rewarding to raise your own livestock. We bought our chickens for eggs, and we love them dearly. However if it comes down to it and we need to use them for meat to feed our family, it’s such a wonderful feeling to know exactly where they came from, how they were raised, what food they ate and what a great life they had.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

A: I enjoy working towards a self sufficient lifestyle, including gardening, canning, baking breads and pies, beekeeping, and property maintenance and conservation on our homestead and farm. We are getting some beef cows this spring to fill our freezer for this coming winter as well. I love to spend time with my children and teach them these beautiful ways of living. It isn’t easy, but man is it fulfilling.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

A: I've been married for 7 years. Our children are 10 and 2. I am a stay at home mother. I have a English bulldog/beagle mix dog and a domestic shorthair cat.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

A: I originally discovered BYC on Facebook when I was searching for groups to join for advice and information before I had chickens. I have learned so much and am so happy to be here.

Back
Top Bottom