New member - just always looking for advise and experience

welcome to byc.
if you can, make a drake pen. get them away from the chickens, and from their girl ducks too if you don’t have at least 4 girl ducks for each boy.
i had success rehoming a few drakes in the past, but this time of year there are a lot of drakes looking for a new homes so it might not be easy.
That’s why building a separate pen for your drakes if possible is a good idea so you can separate them immediately.
Not only can they injure hens they can kill them. I have a friend who lost a couple of chicken hens to a drake.
I once read that the mallard Drake is the number one most sexually aggressive animal in the entire animal Kingdom and most if not all of our domestic ducks were bred originally from Mallards
I would suggest not to buy ducks at tractor supply I did that once and got seven drake out of 10.
I was able to rehome all but one of them how be it it was two people who I know wanted to cook and eat them. You can buy sexed ducklings and get mostly females from a hatchery.
How is your girl doing?
She's in quarantine right now. It's the quarantine we use for our chickens when we don't want them up and around so the room is limited. She's little and is always playing in the large dog bowls so I put one of those in for her but I feel bad for her. I feel like the drake, Edward, is who we should be quarantining. But he needs even more space because he's a big pekin and I just don't have that thought out yet. But I will. The back of her head was raw and bloody last week. I treated it and quarantined her and she looked so much better but then yesterday we put her out again and Edward tore her up again. I am in the middle of putting in a koi pond for the ducks and building that quack shack... the projects are truly neverending lol now I will have to have a second quack shack for edward and a seperate pond. I'm also not sure if the younger ducks are male or female yet so I may have more males but I'm interested to see how the other 7 get along after I remove Edward. We free range our chickens and ducks to so it'll be an adjustment for Edward to not be out with everyone else.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.JPG
    IMG_1484.JPG
    858.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 2
welcome to byc.
if you can, make a drake pen. get them away from the chickens, and from their girl ducks too if you don’t have at least 4 girl ducks for each boy.
i had success rehoming a few drakes in the past, but this time of year there are a lot of drakes looking for a new homes so it might not be easy.
That’s why building a separate pen for your drakes if possible is a good idea so you can separate them immediately.
Not only can they injure hens they can kill them. I have a friend who lost a couple of chicken hens to a drake.
I once read that the mallard Drake is the number one most sexually aggressive animal in the entire animal Kingdom and most if not all of our domestic ducks were bred originally from Mallards
I would suggest not to buy ducks at tractor supply I did that once and got seven drake out of 10.
I was able to rehome all but one of them how be it it was two people who I know wanted to cook and eat them. You can buy sexed ducklings and get mostly females from a hatchery.
How is your girl doing?

Back
Top Bottom