New to incubating

chloeg001

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
Hello everyone this is my first EVER using an incubator instead of my hens. The brand I got, from another fellow chicken person, Magicfly All-In-One automatic egg incubator. I have read the reviews already regarding this incubator and they’re not good. I have noticed that the temp and humidity fluctuate quite a lot. If I set the temp to 103 well, it’ll go to 103. But if I set it back down to 101 it goes below 95. Just these 10-15 minutes here messing with it by covering and uncovering it with a towel to try and keep the humidity low as already been a hassle as well as attempting to the raise the temp back up from 94. Since I work from 1 in the afternoon to 9 at night, I’m worried something bad will happen. I don’t have anyone else to check or mess with it while I’m gone. Part of me just wants to see if this will actually work out fine or just toss the 14 silkie eggs I put in there 🥲 it has already shut itself off once by getting too hot and I had to press the ‘menu’ button to turn it back on. Even typing this it hasn’t increased from 94
image.jpg
image.jpg

Toss it and get a semi reliable one! I was given a little giant that went from 95-107F and didn’t dare incubate anything, ended up hand turning 32 quail eggs in a nurture right 360 instead and it worked just fine. I bought an el cheapo one off Amazon for $40 and some temp/hygrometers and it seems to be working fine temp wise (humidity is a work in progress but a bit less acutely vital). I haven’t hatched anything yet but had some fertile fridge eggs I took to day 12 that developed well. An unreliable heater is just going to give you an ulcer!

Toss it and get a semi reliable one! I was given a little giant that went from 95-107F and didn’t dare incubate anything, ended up hand turning 32 quail eggs in a nurture right 360 instead and it worked just fine. I bought an el cheapo one off Amazon for $40 and some temp/hygrometers and it seems to be working fine temp wise (humidity is a work in progress but a bit less acutely vital). I haven’t hatched anything yet but had some fertile fridge eggs I took to day 12 that developed well. An unreliable heater is just going to give you an ulcer!
I did manage to get the heat back up (after tossing 2 towels and a blanket over it) and so far the temp is eh. A steady 99-100 so I guess that’s good? And the humidity I blame on me pouring too much water in it. It has already beeped twice at me and I am having to hand turn the eggs which I don’t mind. It’s just going to be around 3 times a day instead of a good five times. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 I am definitely getting rid of it after the eggs hatch, if they do.

Back
Top Bottom