No an emergency, but I’m worried I gave my hen too much calcium not knowing she may be starting a molt

I would only give the calcium one or two days for possible egg binding. She has probably had enough. I only give it more than once or twice if they are laying soft eggs, and are calcium deficient.
oh okay I misunderstood/misread! I will not give anymore!

So then if a hen is egg bound from a soft egg, but then does not go on to lay anymore soft eggs, don’t give anymore calcium. Got it ✅

Last edited:
If she has had any soft or shell-less eggs I would give the calcium for 7 days. I thought that your hen might have laid a normal egg yesterday.
She may have, I honestly do not know. Her and the other CQ lay virtually identical eggs. But given that she hasn’t had any egg issues before this, I do wonder if this was an odd glitch and maybe she did lay a good egg yesterday. I won’t give anymore just to be on the cautious side. Like you said, she probably has had enough with the large dose today, especially.

Do you think it would be normal to get a bit glitchy before going into a molt? This is only their second adult molt and I don’t have a lot to compare to.

Do you think it would be normal to get a bit glitchy before going into a molt?
Yes. Moulting is not just about renewal of feathers; it's a rejuvenation of other body parts too including leg scales and internal organs, some of which shrink. Blood volume increases significantly - so make sure there is plenty of clean water available at all times - and the skin gets very sensitive, so minimise handling a moulting bird.

They may just stand around looking very sorry for themselves through the worst of it; just leave them alone. Do not force feed them anything. Offer a selection of foods that are known to be rich in different things - carbs, proteins, lipids, as well as your oyster shell bowl for calcium - and let them select what they need, when they need it, in the quantities they need it. Then they will get through this tough but entirely natural process most easily and quickly.

Yes. Moulting is not just about renewal of feathers; it's a rejuvenation of other body parts too including leg scales and internal organs, some of which shrink. Blood volume increases significantly - so make sure there is plenty of clean water available at all times - and the skin gets very sensitive, so minimise handling a moulting bird.

They may just stand around looking very sorry for themselves through the worst of it; just leave them alone. Do not force feed them anything. Offer a selection of foods that are known to be rich in different things - carbs, proteins, lipids, as well as your oyster shell bowl for calcium - and let them select what they need, when they need it, in the quantities they need it. Then they will get through this tough but entirely natural process most easily and quickly.
Thank you for sharing. She was so sad looking last night, I wonder if it is a molt starting. I Hope it’s that and nothing more serious.

On the roost she quite literally sat there and chatted with me while I stroked her neck, but it was such a sad chat. Usually she is very uppity and standing trying to get everyone in line - she is the head hen. She’ll talk SO much and so loudly usually. She’s just a loud hen. And she’s never really let me pet her long while she just sat and chatted. Last night she did tho. Everything I said she replied to. It was the sweetest yet saddest conversation, if you want to call it that.

Back
Top Bottom