North Carolina

I know you were doing a lot of research looking for soy-free feed. If you're feeding grains only as a supplement, what is their main feed now? Did you find a good source for soy-free feed? I've considered separating a portion of my flock and doing soy-free to be able to sell to people with allergies, but haven't looked into the feed much. I figured I'd wait for you! And of course, any good feed is able to be supplemented by free-ranging. I'm surprised you replace the free-ranging with grains in the winter though, because without soy the protein content needs a boost. I was thinking about getting back into raising mealworms again for that group...if I ended up going that way. Might be more trouble than it's currently worth to me.

Too many irons in the fire...and a queue of others waiting their turn!
Hollow - they still free-range in the winter, but I know that bugs are "scarce" in the winter and thus the protein is a bit lacking so I try to be cautious to ensure they are getting their protein. The feed that I get has kelp and several other seaweed sources that offer a good protein boost, but it is NOWHERE near the ratio of what soy does. Therefore, I have to either buy mealworms, offer up scrambled eggs or other various/creative ways. I'm still researching ways to offer up some good protein, so if you have suggestions, PLEASE by all means share!! I do have a source for organic, GMO-free, soy-free feed but that usually requires a trip to Raleigh every other month or so, and I usually make the hubby do it (I don't like getting yelled at by the doctors for lugging 50# feed bags around - it's bad enough they don't want me carrying my 13mo old!! LOL, doctors, what do they know?!? Why women back in the day worked hard and delivered out in the field, strapped the baby to themselves and continued working...LOL). I've looked into fermenting, but the whole notion scares me, and to buy all organic supplies...well it can get quite costly. I'm not sure how it would compare to the "store bought" feed. I don't know anything about raising mealworms, but I'd love to learn if you ever feel like "teaching" during your summer break!!
wink.png

Hey, Hey, NH! We are from NW Ohio too! Small world. Stuffing diapers? What does this consist of (I probably missed the memo from before I joined BYC)? And you are homesteading - does that mean you are feeding organics, non processed foods in your household? I would love to learn more - books to read, etc. I want to get that crap out of our kitchen too!

I am also in the process of researching how to feed my flock and supplement their food so that I don't have to buy so much at the store. Right now we only have 8, and it seems like they eat a lot or just kick it around the brooder/run/coop. Since I am not up on the science of all of this, what do the levels need to be for protein (or whatever else is necssary) in summer vs. winter? Where can I look for more information? TONS OF QUESTIONS!
duc.gif

On another note, HAPPY FRIDAY! It is our last Friday with students. I love my job, but I am ready for summer!
celebrate.gif
LOL!! GO NW OHIO!! I came from Swanton, which is a little town west of Toledo (and taught at both Stautzenberger College & Owens Community College).
frow.gif
I cloth diaper my kiddos so we use a form of pocket diapers (think waterproof shell with a pouch for "pads" that soak up the wet stuff...the poopy stuff obviously gets on the inside of the shell, but that is easily flushed, rinsed and then washed)...so to stuff them, you take the clean "pads" (called inserts) and insert them into the pocket...then you're ready to go. Sadly, I have so many diapers that I usually wait until I am nearly out, thus I am stuck with a mound to do and NO desire to do them...LOL. I'd rather be outside. LOL
We are LEARNING to homestead...and making everything from scratch came around out of a necessity as our oldest daughter (my 2.5yo....going on 30) is highly allergic to soy as well as food dyes/colors/preservatives...I have found a few online sites that have really helped break it down as well as a book that "goes against the philosophy of society" - in that it's a raw milk/cheese/butter, pasture raised meat and good natural fats (lard, tallow, coconut oil, etc...).
I have NO clue in the feed department - that is something I am still researching. We got into chickens because it was SO expensive to buy a soy-free chicken or eggs (I'm talking $10/lb for the chicken and $6/doz for eggs) that we thought it might be cheaper for us to raise our own. LOL, not sure if it's ended up being cheaper, but it's definitely won us over in the priceless category for memories and ... well... we're addicted now!!
Feel free to PM me with any questions, and I will do my best to answer them re: homesteading or cooking from scratch or anything else...I'm a SAHM living in the middle of nowhere, so I tend to be a bit (okay, that's an understatement...oops) talkative!! LOL OOPS!!

ETA: Luke - that is one absolutely adorable young man...mama's lock up your daughters!! Congratulations again!!

Last edited:
" hey pa, they went that way!" Still hard to believe this is part of me!
He's a handsome little devil! And he looks happy. You done good!
I know you were doing a lot of research looking for soy-free feed. If you're feeding grains only as a supplement, what is their main feed now? Did you find a good source for soy-free feed? I've considered separating a portion of my flock and doing soy-free to be able to sell to people with allergies, but haven't looked into the feed much. I figured I'd wait for you! And of course, any good feed is able to be supplemented by free-ranging. I'm surprised you replace the free-ranging with grains in the winter though, because without soy the protein content needs a boost. I was thinking about getting back into raising mealworms again for that group...if I ended up going that way. Might be more trouble than it's currently worth to me. Too many irons in the fire...and a queue of others waiting their turn!
Hollow - they still free-range in the winter, but I know that bugs are "scarce" in the winter and thus the protein is a bit lacking so I try to be cautious to ensure they are getting their protein. The feed that I get has kelp and several other seaweed sources that offer a good protein boost, but it is NOWHERE near the ratio of what soy does. Therefore, I have to either buy mealworms, offer up scrambled eggs or other various/creative ways. I'm still researching ways to offer up some good protein, so if you have suggestions, PLEASE by all means share!! I do have a source for organic, GMO-free, soy-free feed but that usually requires a trip to Raleigh every other month or so, and I usually make the hubby do it (I don't like getting yelled at by the doctors for lugging 50# feed bags around - it's bad enough they don't want me carrying my 13mo old!! LOL, doctors, what do they know?!? Why women back in the day worked hard and delivered out in the field, strapped the baby to themselves and continued working...LOL). I've looked into fermenting, but the whole notion scares me, and to buy all organic supplies...well it can get quite costly. I'm not sure how it would compare to the "store bought" feed. I don't know anything about raising mealworms, but I'd love to learn if you ever feel like "teaching" during your summer break!! ;)
I am also in the process of researching how to feed my flock and supplement their food so that I don't have to buy so much at the store. Right now we only have 8, and it seems like they eat a lot or just kick it around the brooder/run/coop. Since I am not up on the science of all of this, what do the levels need to be for protein (or whatever else is necssary) in summer vs. winter? Where can I look for more information? TONS OF QUESTIONS!
. NH, where in Raleigh do you get the feed and what is it called? And...more questions...how much do you go through for how many birds. I assume it's somewhat less in summer. I know my birds feed intake drops by nearly half when the pastures are in good shape for ranging. I hadn't thought about kelps as a protein source...doh! That would decrease the amount of insect food to supply...or eggs to give back. Mealworms are easy. There are lots of threads about them on BYC if you search. I usually use aquariums, simply because I have them. I'm planning on starting at least one colony back up because they are good for the button quail. Teach? During summer? Are you crazy, Woman! Ahem. Sure. I can help you set up. No problem. :D I'm thinking we have a fair few educators in here... 2 Sesslers?

Not sure where to ask this question, so...

I have someone interested in buying fertile eggs from me. I currently only have bantams eggs that are fertile. My question is: How much should I charge for "barnyard mix" bantam hatching eggs? They aren't purebred bantams, so I know I can't charge what some people would charge for those. I was thinking $4-$6/dozen. Does that sound too high? Too low? Not sure...

sounds fair to me.

Back
Top Bottom