North Carolina

Busy day in here!

I have an out-of-town guest this week, so doubt I'll get on other than first thing and last thing.

DST, sorry for uncaring people who let preventable things happen. Hope your new birds stay safe.

Dutchbunny...hurrah! For Mr. B! Hope he continues to improve!

Have a good evening!

DST - sorry for your losses! That is so frustrating. We have mini dachshunds, and they have been very curious about our chickens. JUST THIS week {we have had chicks since 4/8} we have let the doxies out without being tied up. They have done well, but I don't forsee being able to let them out free without supervision. It is hard not to say get rid of the incapable human. I am a pet lover though... and can't imagine getting rid of a pet I have had for 4 years. Pets are trainable, sometimes humans aren't.

I am sure you will make a good decision :) Hooray for new chickens, I can't wait to move to a place where we can have LOTS & LOTS! That won't be dor a long while though. Until then, I love my little flock!

Another happy day for our chickens. Not sure what they are going to do when summer is over and they don't get to free range all day long! Spoiled!

We spent yesterday raising the roof on the laying nests so they have plenty of room to lay in the top nests. Although, I am thinking they are going to be laying under the grapevines where they like to hang out. we'll see!

just had to share a giggle
gig.gif

270211_133450396866065_63556817_n.jpg

Good Morning,
My Chickens are finally starting to be friendly! My run is up against my house and the girls come tap on the glass door to get my attention. It is so endearing! I never imagined some freeze dried meal worms would change their opinion of me so quickly. Was going to sleep in a little bit but Gru my rooster had other ideas. I never thought I'd like my chickens as much as I do.

sbrooks- how is the sick on this morning?

The feed that we have had them on we can only get in a 50lb bag, would it be ok if we switch to a different feeder/grower brand for just a few weeks and then switch them again when going to layer feed?

Two questions:
1. Is it a still air or forced air? Your temperature should be a little higher for still air (like 101-102)

2. Are you keeping 60% humidity throughout the entire incubation?
It should be about 30-45% for the first 18 days and bumped to around 65% for lockdown.

It sounds like your eggs are drowning in shell when they try to pip.
sad.png

I've had countless problems with my old LG incubator and finally replaced it with a Brinsea Octagon Eco 20 and am getting close to lockdown on the first batch in there.
smile.png
so far so good!
1. What is still air vs. forced air?
2. yes, was keeping hum that high...have now backed it down ...its staying bout 40.

Unfortunately i am not able to manually turn my eggs through out the day.

I will try another batch with the CORRECT humidity...and if still no hatches...someone has offered for me to borrow their HovaBator. Wonder if I could rig something to raise the heating elements so they wont be so close to the eggs to avoid burning them up....???

Thank you all for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom