North Carolina

Can I ask a question about hens going broody please? I never had any mite problems until this past spring when 2 of my girls went broody. I'm sure it was because they weren't doing their usual dust bathing. I keep DE in my coops and nesting boxes. How do yall keep your bloodies from getting them??

I'm really hoping for a few more hens to go broody this year. I have one little bantam silkie/ cochin mix that broods a few times a year and does a great job. Right now, she's raising one lone chick (australorp mixed cockerel) that hatched in mid january. Last year she hatched 3 little cochin/ silkie/ orpington mixed pullets. I'm hoping they end up being great little mothers too. This year I'll get a bantam coop built for my 5 little bantam girls (the previously mentioned 4, plus an elderly cochin hen) and my little blue silkie rooster. That little guy is a family favorite. His name is Muppet, but I actually almost named him Beaker. Great minds think alike, Bob! I'm anxious to hatch some "muppet babies" for more future broodies.

Can I ask a question about hens going broody please? I never had any mite problems until this past spring when 2 of my girls went broody. I'm sure it was because they weren't doing their usual dust bathing. I keep DE in my coops and nesting boxes. How do yall keep your bloodies from getting them??
Sevin dust (lice) or pour on ivermectin (mites/ lice) works great. I sprinkle sevin dust around the nest and even on top of the eggs to keep the ants off as well.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

What a lovely day we are promised. I just wish it was on the
weekend where I can enjoy it more and get some usefulness
out of it.
It seems DH had a young cockerel fly the coop on him last
night. He was trying to move the bird from his bachelor pad
to the breeding pen when it escaped and took off for parts
unknown. We looked for a while but with no luck in finding him.
Maybe we can find him today.
fl.gif

hope everyone has a good day
thumbsup.gif

I had broodies coming out of my ears last summer, too.  Buff Orpingtons, Crele Orpington, Welsummers (!), EEs and one Ameraucana.  14 at max.  One started back just after xmas (the crele Orp).  If she's still broody in three weeks, she'll get chicks.  But geez...when you Want a broody, you can't get them to sit.  When you Don't want one, everybody seems to get the urge.

Isn't that the truth?!

Oh happy SUNNY day! and i'm in the office
barnie.gif
can't get anything done on the farm from here... my boyfriend did text me with the exciting news that the crazy little chicken (aka our sebright) laid an egg today!!!!! first in months!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!! now let's see how long she keeps up before going broody! please say there are many more days like this on the way!!!

Anyone know if there will be bantams at the Smithfield show on the 14th? I'm still searching for a couple of bantams (sebrights or dutch).... Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom