North Carolina

Hey everyone, I got a silkie today!! She is 8 months old, I have a 12lb Orpington rooster. Is it OK to put her in there with him or will he hurt her?

This is Bonzai. His mother is 2lb silkie, his father is an 18lb orpington. Now my silkie is a tough little hen, and doesn't take anything from anybody, and Moody(the rooster) is as his name suggests a little moody and not the most gentle thing. I don't recommend putting silkies in with huge roos, but..... with that said, it is possible. But it doesn't always work out.

Thanks for your input wild. I might put her in there for a couple hours tomorrow since its going to be nice out. I can sit and watch and see what goes on. If he tries to be too rough with her or anything I'll just take her back out. I won't leave her in there unsupervised.

It all depends on him. The largest rooster I ever had was the most considerate of them all. He was so gentle with the hens.

Hey everyone, I got a silkie today!! She is 8 months old, I have a 12lb Orpington rooster. Is it OK to put her in there with him or will he hurt her?

I think it would be wise to quarantine any new bird that you bring onto your property before you mix them with your birds! Bringing new birds in and mixing them with your flock can be a recipe for disaster. Quarantining new birds for a minimum of 2 weeks is pretty much standard protocol from what I understood. Maybe I'm the only one who does this but my laying hens are too valuable, to me, to take the risk! Once you have quarantined the new bird, then you can tackle the question of who to mix her with :) JMHO
Angela

Good morning folks
frow.gif

the weekend is almost here
yesss.gif

I have decidied my problem is not enough
hours at night and not enough days in a
weekend but I will just have to find a way
to get done what I need to.......the hens are
laying like crazy now......must be spring
D.gif

hope your day is a good one
pop.gif

Thanks for your input wild. I might put her in there for a couple hours tomorrow since its going to be nice out. I can sit and watch and see what goes on. If he tries to be too rough with her or anything I'll just take her back out. I won't leave her in there unsupervised.

I think it would be wise to quarantine any new bird that you bring onto your property before you mix them with your birds! Bringing new birds in and mixing them with your flock can be a recipe for disaster. Quarantining new birds for a minimum of 2 weeks is pretty much standard protocol from what I understood. Maybe I'm the only one who does this but my laying hens are too valuable, to me, to take the risk! Once you have quarantined the new bird, then you can tackle the question of who to mix her with :) JMHO
Angela

X 2 quarantine is the first order of business. 30 days is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom