North Carolina

Hey everyone I am back on BYC after a few years of hiatus. I have 4 elderly 5-8 year old hens, 3 cockerels (8 mos old), and 8 pullets same age. Getting tons of eggs, and mostly fertilised I was observing as we eat them. So, I decided to try incubation for first time. And getting goats this summer. And have a new job close to home for the first time in 5 years. So life is pretty good in Alamance Co, as soon as I figure out this incubation thing better.

Hey everyone I am back on BYC after a few years of hiatus. I have 4 elderly 5-8 year old hens, 3 cockerels (8 mos old), and 8 pullets same age. Getting tons of eggs, and mostly fertilised I was observing as we eat them. So, I decided to try incubation for first time. And getting goats this summer. And have a new job close to home for the first time in 5 years. So life is pretty good in Alamance Co, as soon as I figure out this incubation thing better.
:frow Welcome back !

Weather....here in farthest north west state
My chicken yard hasn’t dried out since October
Was frozen good and solid until early March-ish but had been 4-6 in boot sucking muck since.
I’ve put 10 bales of hay, 5 bales of straw and 4 contractor size bags of wood shavings on it since September. My saving grace is that my “coop” is a chickshaw - the bottom is 1 in hardware cloth and 2 ft above ground so my flock has a dry secure place to get dry and out of the rain and wet. By G-d’s Grace all have stayed very healthy so far.
I spend part of each day digging or clearing draining canals running through the yard. The chicken yard is at least 32x32 ft and at a slight grade, but even the upper end, while not muck, has stayed wet :(
And More rain to come ☔

Weather....here in farthest north west state
My chicken yard hasn’t dried out since October
Was frozen good and solid until early March-ish but had been 4-6 in boot sucking muck since.
I’ve put 10 bales of hay, 5 bales of straw and 4 contractor size bags of wood shavings on it since September. My saving grace is that my “coop” is a chickshaw - the bottom is 1 in hardware cloth and 2 ft above ground so my flock has a dry secure place to get dry and out of the rain and wet. By G-d’s Grace all have stayed very healthy so far.
I spend part of each day digging or clearing draining canals running through the yard. The chicken yard is at least 32x32 ft and at a slight grade, but even the upper end, while not muck, has stayed wet :(
And More rain to come ☔
It has really been a trying spring.

Gift for understatement you have, Grasshopper!
Lol. I think I was just silently commiserating with you and definitely didn’t want to try to one-up all those darn struggles you were having and as I glance at what time I posted it, I might have also been in need of that second cup of coffee or something that morning.
Being short winded
has never been one of my challenges.

Back
Top Bottom