Not Squatting when picked up

Omijo

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2022
For a few days now I've noticed one of my golden comets is no longer squatting and tensing her wings when I pet or pick her up. She is very docile and has always been pretty comfortable when being carried. However, I find it strange that her instinct/reflex to squat and tense her wings when picked up has stopped. Should I be concerned about this? She seems fine otherwise.

Last edited:
How old is she? It *could* be a sign that she is no longer laying. However, if she is still laying well and good health, she simply isn't as anxious when picked up. The squatting is not a sign of love or pleasure but submission to a stronger flock member.

So likely it is not of importance.

LofMc
Thanks! She is young (about 8 months?) and lays regularly. Perhaps, she is just less anxious about being handled.

Last edited:
Ehh, I wouldn't worry too much. She may have just figured out you're not a rooster. Most of mine won't squat period for me, so...
Haha that makes sense. Thanks for responding. I'm new to this. It caught me off guard that she had changed her behavior. I do try to handle them often so perhaps she just caught on to that.

Back
Top Bottom