NY chicken lover!!!!

Tab's chicken obsession :

This past fall we had 11 birds butchered, 9 BO and 2 meaties from TSC. There wasn't much to the BO, the meaty was better cooking for me. The BO were more feathers than anything else.

The orps seemed to have a lot of leg meat, not much breast, but were huge birds... they all dressed out at around 5 lbs at 5 months old. Dorkings have a huge breast & are supposed to have a very nice texture to their meat.​

Saanens are solid white with erect ears . Nubians are usually colored with long floppy ears . Both will mature well over 100lb some close to 200lbs . Saanens in general give more milk but Nubians have higher butter fat. Either breed does well in a homestead with children .

Patty

I had a few Nubians and they are in {general } loud . My girls all make noise at feeding time but then are quiet . I just could not take all the noise . Just like I can not get over goats with no ears no matter how sweet .

Patty

Tab's chicken obsession :

This past fall we had 11 birds butchered, 9 BO and 2 meaties from TSC. There wasn't much to the BO, the meaty was better cooking for me. The BO were more feathers than anything else.

This is the thing with many breeds that folks breed for show. They lose the real reason people kept chickens. Especially "Dual Purpose" breeds. The articles that I've read say that in breeding for show the price is loss of production and meatiness. This is why I'm working with Delawares to bring back the "heritage type" bird of the past.

Lord knows you can't eat a "pin up" chicken.

I had hoped to learn at the ALBC conference how to judge a bird for both these qualities, though I learned some I'm not sure it's enough. I hope to go to AL in April to a show and meet some of the judges there. They are very friendly down there. Not like here where they won't give you the time of day. IMO Then they wonder why more folks don't show.

Well gotta go set the eggs I brought back from AL. I hope they all hatch.

Rancher​

37773_mikaylee_and_indy_bolt_castle.jpg

This is a yearling Saanen with my daughter at Bolt Castle on Heart Island in the Thousand Island region of NY . We were invited as a vendor to the island and she was the first goat ever allowed there !

are there enough of Ameraucana breeders in Central,NY to ask for an Ameraucana meet at the Syrause show in June? We need at least 3 people to show.
I'm usually the only one. Let me know if you will show there, its the 1st sunday in June. And I will request the meet.

Sue

Quote:
I want to.......never shown before though.

Its easy, you clean up your bird, I don't wash them, just wipe off the legs & feet, put some petrolium jelly on their combs & wattles, put them in the cage, and its done.

Thats all. Unless your birds are covered in mud,,,then you have to wash them,but as long as they don't have bugs, and the feathers feel clean & shiny, that is all there is to it. Of course, they have to be in good weight, and not have any feathers missing.

Sue

Last edited:
Quote:
I want to.......never shown before though.

Its easy, you clean up your bird, I don't wash them, just wipe off the legs & feet, put some petrolium jelly on their combs & wattles, put them in the cage, and its done.

Thats all. Unless your birds are covered in mud,,,then you have to wash them,but as long as they don't have bugs, and the feathers feel clean & shiny, that is all there is to it. Of course, they have to be in good weight, and not have any feathers missing.

Sue

Washing would be a must for my whites....right now they look like they have been swimming in mud puddles.....sunbathing in the mud
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom