NY chicken lover!!!!

Just thought I'd toss this out there in case anyone is interested - I'm going to put in an order next week with GFF to take advantage of their 20% off sale. If anyone would like to split it with me, let me know. I'm happy to keep chicks until they can be picked up or until Chickenstock :)

Hi all, im hanging in there. First day post op wasn't too bad but now it's starting to hit me. Doctor said day 4/5 can be the worst, hopefully I can keep up with my meds and it will be bearable. Especially since it's day 21 for my eggs tomorrow! I had won a MPC contest and got silkies, blue sex link EEs and super blue egg layer fertilized eggs. I hope it's a good hatch! Little chicks always put a smile on my face :)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1758352454393036/

Southern Tier Beekeepers Association is having a Beginner Beekeeping course January 23 at the Broome County CCE building in Binghamton if anyone was interested.

Hmm, very tempting. I would like to get bees someday soon but know little about keeping them. I have a big garden and lots of fruit trees that would benefit, and we love honey...
I could use a trip to Gary's u pull it anyway.

Just thought I'd toss this out there in case anyone is interested - I'm going to put in an order next week with GFF to take advantage of their 20% off sale. If anyone would like to split it with me, let me know. I'm happy to keep chicks until they can be picked up or until Chickenstock :)

Oooh. Let me look at my finances. I've been wanting to order from them but have a lot of anxiety about spending that much.

Hi all, im hanging in there. First day post op wasn't too bad but now it's starting to hit me. Doctor said day 4/5 can be the worst, hopefully I can keep up with my meds and it will be bearable. Especially since it's day 21 for my eggs tomorrow! I had won a MPC contest and got silkies, blue sex link EEs and super blue egg layer fertilized eggs. I hope it's a good hatch! Little chicks always put a smile on my face :)

I'm glad the surgery is over. I hope those little chicks help with recovery. Don't over do it!

Ok, I'm finally caught up. How're you feeling, aka ruby? Hope you're recovering nicely. Well, I don't know if you guys remember, but I had wanted to start raising chickens with pullets instead of chicks, and I had a hard time finding pullets. Well, I see Lancaster fancy fowl has black australorp pullets, and I was thinking of getting two. ( I'm very impatient, I want those eggs!) what do you think of the breed? Will they be welcoming to the chicks when it's time to integrate them? I heard some chickens don't welcome new flock members, like the red star. I know they're supposed to be docile, but I don't know if they will be mean to younger birds that they don't know.

I love my BA, Margaret she is a good bird. She lays a beautiful large light brown egg that has a pretty pink tint to it almost everyday.
She is somewhere in the middle of the pecking order... she doesn't aggressively attack other birds but will defend herself. I don't think any chicken is welcoming... but I think that these are not a super aggressive bird. (Unlike my BSL... they are aggressive. At least mine are)
I think BA's are a nice addition to a coop and I wish they came in more colors.

Last edited:
Red stars, AKA red sex links, are really great
smile.png
I have one going on four years now, really sweet chicken, jumps in my lap whenever she can, still laying great. She even went broody for me once and raised 13 chicks.
I had a bunch golden comets after having RIR and wasn't impressed. I've been told different hatcheries strains and breeding practices can vary, sex links are supposed to be the best, maybe I just had a bad batch. Got them from a big farm stand, they sell all sorts of poultry in the spring, where I got ducks and guineas before. They sell tetra tint's so I think the hatchery they use is Mt Healthy.

Good luck on your recovery. I hope you pain. Is manageable and that you recover quickly.

Last edited:
Oooh. Let me look at my finances. I've been wanting to order from them but have a lot of anxiety about spending that much.

Shoot me a pm if you decide you'd like to go for it :)

I had a bunch golden comets after having RIR and wasn't impressed. I've been told different hatcheries strains and breeding practices can vary, sex links are supposed to be the best, maybe I just had a bad batch. Got them from a big farm stand, they sell all sorts of poultry in the spring, where I got ducks and guineas before. They sell tetra tint's so I think the hatchery they use is Mt Healthy.

I'm not sure what strain Lemon is - when I bought her she was labeled as a golden laced wyandotte, lol, and she is very clearly not. She's a really nice bird though.

I hope you feel better soon!

Back
Top Bottom