NY chicken lover!!!!

Hey chicken lovers! I am new to the forum and the awesome world of chickens!

This year I want to start a flock on ten acres. I have read plenty of books and watched so many videos. I am ready to start! 

I have taught myself many different thing before. With that experience of self teaching I know nothing is better than first hand knowledge and experience! 

That being said, I am looking for some one I can buy chicks from thats not to far from me. I am exactly in the middle of Hudson and Albany on the east side of the river. 

I am looking for a good flock of brown egg layers, dark layers, olive, blue and green. Not concerned about meat birds and want more eggs for my input. Free range savvy is a plus for safer foraging and pasture delicious eggs. 

I am really hoping to find some one I can learn from and talk to as well. Let me pick your brain and tell me some good local places for materials I might need, show me your chicken set up and talk about problems etc. 

Ive been to a few small chicken keepers but I want to see a breeder or a no cage (minimum) egg producer. 

From your knowledge I know I can give the chickens the best, happiest, and most delicious life possible! 

Thanks in advanced! 

Welcome.. you have found the right place. We all have our own ways and for every question you ask you are sure to get many answers. So take what you can use and step past the rest.

This year I want to start a flock on ten acres. I have read plenty of books and watched so many videos. I am ready to start!
I have taught myself many different thing before. With that experience of self teaching I know nothing is better than first hand knowledge and experience!

That being said, I am looking for some one I can buy chicks from thats not to far from me. I am exactly in the middle of Hudson and Albany on the east side of the river.
I am looking for a good flock of brown egg layers, dark layers, olive, blue and green. Not concerned about meat birds and want more eggs for my input. Free range savvy is a plus for safer foraging and pasture delicious eggs.

I am really hoping to find some one I can learn from and talk to as well. Let me pick your brain and tell me some good local places for materials I might need, show me your chicken set up and talk about problems etc.

Ive been to a few small chicken keepers but I want to see a breeder or a no cage (minimum) egg producer.

From your knowledge I know I can give the chickens the best, happiest, and most delicious life possible!

Thanks in advanced!

Welcome! I am not horribly far from you in Schoharie County. I have about 100 fowl, mostly chickens with some ducks, geese and turkeys. I have about 8 pullets for sale that will lay all of the above eggs (and have started laying) and about a dozen cockerels to choose from if you want to produce your own hatching eggs. They free range all day and I am so overwhelmed with eggs I am cooking them up by the potful and feeding them back to them. If you want eggs, let me know and I will collect and put them in the turner until you can come and get them. Viability is a little chancy this time of year as sometimes they freeze before I get to them.

Thanks. I am hoping for a blue-egger rooster. I'm going to keep checking craigslist. Finding a pure Ameraucana roo with the demeanor I want will be tough.

I have two wheaten ameraucana cockerels with good temperament. One is standard (black based) and one is blue. Purebred from a breeder. Message me if you are interested.

Any Questions? Just ask
Hi! I'm from Erie PA and was wondering if there's anyone in North Western NY that might have a few female ducks they'd like to sell.
Im sure someone will peep up ..Some have Ducks too

Did you find birchens? I'm going to do 1 large hatch setting 4/25. I've been pricing out shipped eggs and found this. https://www.laurelmeadowsfarm.com/prices-and-availability
I may have missed it if you mentioned it already.
If I get any I'll keep you in mind.
No I didn't. I'm not sure what this "splash" thing is about. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Everyone else have you seen:

Small Farm and Homestead Fair.com. It's March 4 Morrisville State College. Go to the website and see the rest. I am planning on being there.

I've never been to this type of thing before and it looks like there is a selection of things and a ticket for each. If anyone has more of an explanation that would be helpful. Seeing as this is the first there may be kinks to work out. I'm surprised it's crammed into one day. I'm not going to get to go to all that interest me. Looks as though it's $5 a talk and at that price seems to me would be worth a second day. But we shall see.

No I didn't. I'm not sure what this "splash" thing is about. I didn't know there was such a thing. 

Everyone else have you seen:

Small Farm and Homestead Fair.com.  It's March 4 Morrisville State College. Go to the website and see the rest. I am planning on being there.

I've never been to this type of thing before and it looks like there is a selection of things and a ticket for each. If anyone has more of an explanation that would be helpful. Seeing as this is the first there may be kinks to work out.  I'm surprised it's crammed into one day. I'm not going to get to go to all that interest me. Looks as though it's $5 a talk and at that price seems to me would be worth a second day. But we shall see. 
I have read the description of the fair. Morrisville had a chicken show that I went to last year. Nice set up. I'll have to consider going.
As for splash, anytime someone adds blue genes to their flock they have a chance of getting splash, which basically double dilutes the black and turns them whitish with black splashes. If I order from her and hatch I'll let you know what I get so you can pick out some favorites.
I sat up for hours last night trying to decide about hatching this year. Horsekeeper's offer definitely helps me deliberate options. :)

I have two wheaten ameraucana cockerels with good temperament. One is standard (black based) and one is blue. Purebred from a breeder. Message me if you are interested.
I'd consider the Blue one. I keep only EE's but have Lavender and blue. My original roo was a Lavender and I add new blood to keep things going.

I have an Olive egger roo up for grabs before I post him to CL. He has the marans markings and big rosecomb.

I have read the description of the fair. Morrisville had a chicken show that I went to last year. Nice set up. I'll have to consider going.
As for splash, anytime someone adds blue genes to their flock they have a chance of getting splash, which basically double dilutes the black and turns them whitish with black splashes. If I order from her and hatch I'll let you know what I get so you can pick out some favorites.
I sat up for hours last night trying to decide about hatching this year. Horsekeeper's offer definitely helps me deliberate options.
smile.png
Seems to me if all I want is egg color, the color or mix of the chickens is secondary. I don't intend to show birds so, should I care whether they mixed up messes of various colors of Marans?

Back
Top Bottom