NY chicken lover!!!!

On the subject of open air coops, I have a hoop coop. I leave the entire front open in the winter. Plastic goes up only to the snow line to keep the snow out and in front of the roosting area. The rest of the front stays wide open. The chickens aren't bothered.
Thank you for the input. I moved them in on Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    662.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    739.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    851 KB · Views: 3
Getting tons of beautiful tomatoes though I'm fighting late blight.
Grew some Park's whopper improved (crack resistant) the tomatoes are 2-4x the size of my early girls, plants were bigger also, and started ripening a few days sooner. They are not handling the late blight as well as early girl though.
Have a open pollinated beefsteak popped up where I had a chicken run this last winter hardly touched by blight.
Been pruning and pulling flowers hoping it helps get the maters it has matured before frost. Grew a bunch of them last yr and only had a few rippen before hard frost.
Green tomato casserole is unbelievably yummy though. Made sliced up bread and butter sweet pickled tomatoes also.

I've got some late blight as well, very disappointing.

On the subject of open air coops, I have a hoop coop. I leave the entire front open in the winter. Plastic goes up only to the snow line to keep the snow out and in front of the roosting area. The rest of the front stays wide open. The chickens aren't bothered.
Your coop is only open on the front right ? and closed in on 3 sides ?
Snow blows in the front of my coop ..which I dont like ...so plastic goes on the front too

I bought started plants at a nursery and planted them in the most wettest part of my garden...they did wonderful as im near the lake the sandy soil helped
Have had a good garden this year
I did celery too this year from bought plants ..it is in reg soil ..it did great ..
My tomatoes are wilting too .
Most of the potato plants have already died ..
My pumpkins , butternut and Acorn ? I am supposed to have some ..LOL are taking over .
Have Grapes on the vines ...
I have kept up with the weeds except in the strawberry patch

Few yrs ago someone was looking for chicken stars for filming also. That would be pretty neat.
Back in the mid 90s I was working a bluestone quarry on a dairy farm, the wife had a friend who was starting up a online pet gift basket business of toys and treats. All the pics were with my baby boxer pup and her cat.

Have had a good garden this year
I did celery too this year from bought plants ..it is in reg soil ..it did great ..
My tomatoes are wilting too .
Most of the potato plants have already died ..
My pumpkins , butternut and Acorn ? I am supposed to have some ..LOL are taking over .
Have Grapes on the vines ...
I have kept up with the weeds except in the strawberry patch
My tomatoes are starting to rot my potatoes died weeks ago cabbage moths ate my cabbage,broccoli and cauliflower my beets got sun blocked out by the tomatoes and died next year im prolly not even gonna do a garden as its cheaper to buy veggys and fruits at the amish

My cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, swiss chard, kale, all did pretty good.
Organic thuricide takes care of the cabbage loopers.
Organic copper fungicide takes care of the tomato blight, though this yr has been worse for me here, last few yrs I barely used it.
I bought both concentrated and use a pump sprayer, enough for 50gals for about the same price as ready to use single spray bottle.
My beets would have done better if I kept them weeded. Weeded them a few weeks ago hopefully we have enough good weather still so they mature. Plants look great but beets are still the size of radishes.
Have kidney, navy, and black beans to shell soon. Only ended up with two sweet meat winter squash but at least we get to try them see if they live up to the hype. Dug up the blue potatoes last week, look purple to me Lol, nice potatoes but not much quantity think they suffered from the weeds. White and red are about ready.
My garden has been infested with quickweed aka gallant soldiers, chickens love them. I bet I ripped up a heaping pickup load of them this yr and they're still growing.
Think I'm going with three sisters planting next yr for half the garden and hope it drowns out the weeds.

Mammoth red mangle beets I'm growing for the chickens could've done better, few weeks ago you could hardly see them burried with weeds and I never got a chance to thin them out. Had rows ready for replanting when I thinned, between that and the weeds I probably would have much bigger roots and doubled the harvest.
Still even though they're planted too thick and weeded too late looks like maybe half the roots will be big, not as big as they can get but at least I didn't ruin them entirely.
20170907_084150.jpg
20170907_084539.jpg

And one of the sweet meat winter squash
20170907_085004.jpg

Back
Top Bottom