NY chicken lover!!!!

Good Evening! I have been lurking for a long time. I tend to pay more attention to the chicken threads when I get the "hatching itch". So, here I am catching up on this thread a bit. I'm getting ready to separate the breeders in prep for hatching season (at least that's my goal for the weekend). I've been busy with a new 4H club and, of course, we are going to spend some time on embryology and chickens! The kids are so excited! We have mostly cloverbuds and some of them are hoping to bring a bird to the fair this summer. We have a lot to learn about showmanship, but hope to learn the ropes and start the kiddos out on right foot.

We are looking forward to hatching!
wee.gif

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm alive. Just reading, not posting. (I know some of you were very very worried.
lau.gif
)

I don't have any potato chips in the house. I think I am going to have to eat real food for dinner. I NEVER do that when Ray is out of town.

Lapeerian  -  just a shout out to say I hope things are improving and you and yours are feeling better.

Thanks Rancher, I'm hanging in there. Little girl still has a couple days of antibiotics left, but she is fine. Couple more days left to work, then I'm staying in bed Saturday. Right now trying to find a box to put Ron the roo in. He is too big for the cage I used as chicks, dog crate is won't fit in the car. He is a big boy. The new owners are getting rid of their BR roo for my Black Orp, cause he is prettier. Ok, works for me. Going to miss the big guy, but know he eats a lot and I would rather cross to the GLW Roos.

I'm alive. Just reading, not posting. (I know some of you were very very worried.
lau.gif
)

I don't have any potato chips in the house. I think I am going to have to eat real food for dinner. I NEVER do that when Ray is out of town.

Things are always more lively with you around.

Potato chips count as a vegetable, right?

TOB

A word on biosecurity......If you are going to quarantine new birds(this is really a good idea!!) remember many diseases are found in feces, so for good biosecurity practices, one should not only separate new individuals,BUT ALSO, change shoes and clothes or disinfect between visiting or feeding flocks. Do not use interchangeable waterers or feeders.

This is something that has made me reconsider who I might have care for my chickens while I'm away...because they've got their own chickens. I can't be sure they will be as diligent as I'd want when coming over to my pen & coop, and when you're asking someone a favor as it is.... well....

TOB

lau.gif
)

My favorite supper when the guys are not around is......wine and cheese....in a bubble bath.......in peace and quiet.

This is something that has made me reconsider who I might have care for my chickens while I'm away...because they've got their own chickens. I can't be sure they will be as diligent as I'd want when coming over to my pen & coop, and when you're asking someone a favor as it is.... well....

TOB

I wouldn't worry to much about a friend with chickens, coming to feed yours( the friend, not her chickens!!). Has she been to your house before? Is she nearby? The wild bird population carries whatever is going around to the whole neighbor hood. If you think about it too much you will just make yourself crazy. Practice good hygeine. If you thought about everything that could possibly go wrong, you would leave the house.

If your friend has a sick bird, or sickly birds, then I would reconsider........

I wouldn't worry to much about a friend with chickens, coming to feed yours( the friend, not her chickens!!). Has she been to your house before? Is she nearby? The wild bird population carries whatever is going around to the whole neighbor hood. If you think about it too much you will just make yourself crazy. Practice good hygeine. If you thought about everything that could possibly go wrong, you would leave the house.

If your friend has a sick bird, or sickly birds, then I would reconsider........
x2

By the time she gets to your house all the poo will have fallen out of her shoes anyway. Not many bird things are carried on our clothing (unless we roll in poo). Now if they are going to bring waterers or feeders from their flock to yours, then you might want to worry....but really, who does that? (not me. If I watch your chickens you are lucky if I remember to bring the water, period)

Some people carry "clean" to levels I cannot achieve. Others think that I do the same. Different strokes for different folks. TOB, if your friend has similiar standards for her flock as you do, don't give it a second thought about having her watch your chickens. A good chicken sitter is hard to find.

Well they're weren't out too long as I'm still nervous about the hawks that have been around the one that got a hold of my lavender orp hen before winter. She wasn't injured too badly, and I think she was definitely too large for him to pick up but her whole neck was bare all winter. They were back in the coops early, they were getting blown over out there!

You might consider a scarecrow for your yard. You could make one sitting in a chair. I could send you some of my clothes. They work for foxes too, cuz they smell like old.
lau.gif

My Henny - do you give receipts? Is a donation tax deductible? I only ask as my Birchen Marans are not cheap by Green Fire Farm standards. They're charging $49 per chick still.

Cass - you know your missed but what are we to do when someone is not on? Send a search party?
gig.gif
Becareful you don't know me I just might.

TOB - if you trust them I wouldn't worry. I make sure there is plenty of feed and that they can get clean water. I tell them just keep them alive and I'll be happy. I even paid a friend to come and stay at the house while we were away.

vmdanielson - I've never understood that bubble bath thing. Lord knows I'm wrinkled enough without soaking in a tub of soapy water. This is my baby picture. I'm the one on the left. Strangely enough the dogs name was not Wrinkles, it was Stretch cuz that's what everyone did to his skin.
lau.gif
I miss that dog.

gotiron.jpg

I don't drink wine, it stains my dentures and I don't eat cheese cuz it smells to much like my socks.

Take care,

Rancher

(disclaimer, don't believe a word I say)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom