NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote: Vaseline - is petroleum based ( crude oil ) I would not use it on a chick
This is what my research shows to do if you have it

PASTY BUTT (Blocked Vent)
A blocked vent is sometimes due to temperature fluctuations suffered by young chicks or more fragile breeds and can be due to stress. There may be other causes, as well. With young chicks, check the temperature in your brooder to ensure it is not fluctuating significantly.
A blocked vent is fatal if not taken care of quickly. A chick suffering pasty butt must be checked on throughout the day and will probably need treatment several times a day for several days.
Treatment:
Clean use a damp rag to remove poo from vent. If the poo is hard, you can soak the chicks bottom in a dish of warm water or put the chicks bottom under warm running water to help remove it.
Dry thoroughly dry the chick. Leaving a chick wet can reduce its immunity and leave it vulnerable to illness or infection.
Olive Oil once the chick is dry, use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help prevent poos from sticking too hard.
Apple Cider Vinegar several BYCers add a drop or two of apple cider vinegar to drinking water to prevent or reduce the severity of pasty butt.

Oh this talk of sick chicks has me nervous... My babies get here next Tuesday and I am freaking out!! Time to get the books out and reread them I feel like I know nothing about chickens!! Oh I feel like I'm a first time mommy about to bring her baby home for the first time

Olive Oil once the chick is dry, use a Q-tip to gently apply olive oil around the vent to help prevent poos from sticking too hard.
I have been using the olive oil and it works better than vaseline because it is easier to apply. I figured if anyone pecked at it they would be getting something food safe. I like the way it spreads over the fluff close to the vent. If the poop is only stuck to the fluff I use a little pair of sewing scissors to just clip it off.

Oh this talk of sick chicks has me nervous... My babies get here next Tuesday and I am freaking out!! Time to get the books out and reread them I feel like I know nothing about chickens!! Oh I feel like I'm a first time mommy about to bring her baby home for the first time

There is always talk of problems but the more chickens you have the more problems you'll have.

Diseases we talk about are not that common, but when you have a lot of chickens things happen and most of us never really know what went wrong. We usually guess, but even if we did know what was wrong many times there is little we can do. IMHO.

That said: When your chicks get there immediately give them a drink of sugar water. Then put them in the brooder. Keep in mind it's Summer so a heat light needs to be adjusted accordingly.

I usually put a thermometer at chick level. Be careful not to get things too warm. The usually advice in temp is not always best. Go by what the chicks tell you. If they're scattered etc. etc.

You'll be fine,

Rancher

Thanks :) . I have had chickens and they have hatched chicks for me but I have never brooded them myself so it's just nerve racking
There is always talk of problems but the more chickens you have the more problems you'll have. 

Diseases we talk about are not that common, but when you have a lot of chickens things happen and most of us never really know what went wrong.  We usually guess, but even if we did know what was wrong many times there is little we can do.  IMHO. 

That said:  When your chicks get there immediately give them a drink of sugar water. Then put them in the brooder. Keep in mind it's Summer so a heat light needs to be adjusted accordingly. 

I usually put a thermometer at chick level.  Be  careful not to get things too warm.  The usually advice in temp is not always best. Go by what the chicks tell you.  If they're scattered etc. etc. 

You'll be fine, 

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom