NY chicken lover!!!!

So I have had 4 die total: ( I'm going to hold off on reordering because I don't know if it was any males that died. My kids are taking it well. I told them even before they arrived that some may die. I will post pictures later:)

I heard from other here (not this thread) that you should hatch from pullet eggs - just not the ones from their first time getting the egg laying process right - that is for higher hatch rate and healthy chicks - but they weren't talking about breeding to establish any changes in traits - like for breeding out copper and things like that - for that obviously you have to wait until they have molted into their adult feathers.

Like you - I didn't get many details as to why- other than the eggs were from young and healthy birds.
Most old timers will say the opposite. The main reason is, you really don't know how a pullet is going to turn out until its at least 18 months old. They change a lot. And roosters can develop a lot of defects between 6 months & 2 years of age. I personally have had cockerels that I thought were outstanding, just to have them develop a dq or fault just shy of a year old. I try to not use any boys under a year old, and prefer to use a 2 year old roo for breeding but sometimes we can't.
Secondly, pullet egg chicks are usually smaller and more difficult to raise up & compete with adult hens chicks. The larger the eggs, the more room the chick has to grow.

Healthy birds should always be the first prerequisite, whether young or old.

I decided to let my Marans go. I will post on the for sale forum but thought I'd post here first. Approx 7 hens 1 to 2 years old. $40 each. Have roos if needed. All black coppers, pure Davis line.

I also have 2 birchen roos, Free. Rancher one of them was yours if you want it back.

Plus I will have about 5 pullets that should start laying in the fall. also $40 each.

I have too many breeds and need to cut back now since I have the Sebastapols.

marquisella im sorry to hear that you wont be keeping the marans, although; im sure you will find them some good homes. I love the ones I got from you at the stock and they ended up being 4 males and 4 females. So i still have to get rid of some of the guys. I finished up the coop this weekend with the final piece being the hawk netting. They seem really happy and I enjoy watching them. Here is a photo of my coop and the birds I got from you at the swap. I posted the photo on facebook but none of my friends really care about chickens
idunno.gif
...We built it for around $150 I believe mr.baunlee said, using all recycled materials.

The coop is made from pallets and then covered in plywood which was mostly sourced and I think he maybe bought one sheet. The expensive thing of it was the cable (used to hang netting), but I think worth it because it is soooo roomy on the inside. Obviously this set up is not meant to last forever but for my starter intentions its great. I have a reallly bad back so my only demand was that I would not have to bend my neck once the netting was up and it's not anywhere close to my head. It's so high up you don't even notice it when you are inside.

Since the coop was mostly free, I decided to make it pretty with a stencil, Maybe I'll add more?

Last edited:
I decided to let my Marans go. I will post on the for sale forum but thought I'd post here first. Approx 7 hens 1 to 2 years old. $40 each. Have roos if needed. All black coppers, pure Davis line. 

I also have 2 birchen roos, Free. Rancher one of them was yours if you want it back.

Plus I will have about 5 pullets that should start laying in the fall. also $40 each.

I have too many breeds and need to cut back now since I have the Sebastapols.

Well this stinks! When I was locking up the birds tonight I noticed my BCM cockerel was missing
1f61e.png
His brother got killed by a dog, now I just have 3 pullets. They will be laying age in a month or so. I'm really bummed! I was hoping to breed them. They are Wade/Davis lines and the pullets are looking great. I hope I can find a roo for them
1f622.png

Maybe it is ment to happen

I was at Harbor Freight today. They have a 6' X 8' green house. Hard plastic sides. For $299.00. Minus the 20% off coupon and it's less than $300.00 $239.00 plus tax $19.12 = $258.12

Of course you'd have to modify it a bit to make it secure as the door is a slider. I'm tempted to buy one. Any comments on the idea?

image_22697.jpg

image_13076.jpg

Don't buy these they suck.
Do you pay tax? Harbor Freight does all tax free for us as a farm. You have chickens, therefore you are a farmer. Say you're buying it to grow chicken food for your farm and avoid the tax.

I e

I was at Harbor Freight today.  They have a 6' X 8' green house.  Hard plastic sides.  For $299.00.  Minus the 20% off coupon and it's less than $300.00    $239.00  plus tax $19.12 =   $258.12 

Of course you'd have to modify it a bit to make it secure as the door is a slider.  I'm tempted to buy one.  Any comments on the idea?   

image_22697.jpg

image_13076.jpg

Do you pay tax?  Harbor Freight does all tax free for us as a farm.  You have chickens, therefore you are a farmer.  Say you're buying it to grow chicken food for your farm and avoid the tax.  
heard about them for
Over 20 years and no one has anything Good to say about them. They are difficult to erect directions are bad and they are blown down easily without a lot of changes. Just google them to see all the bad comments. I think there is a yahoo group dedicated to them.

I was at Harbor Freight today.  They have a 6' X 8' green house.  Hard plastic sides.  For $299.00.  Minus the 20% off coupon and it's less than $300.00    $239.00  plus tax $19.12 =   $258.12 

Of course you'd have to modify it a bit to make it secure as the door is a slider.  I'm tempted to buy one.  Any comments on the idea?   

image_22697.jpg

image_13076.jpg

Do you pay tax?  Harbor Freight does all tax free for us as a farm.  You have chickens, therefore you are a farmer.  Say you're buying it to grow chicken food for your farm and avoid the tax.  

Don't you have to prove you tax free like other places

Back
Top Bottom