NY chicken lover!!!!

Sweetpea - so sorry - that is what I did for my full grown roo .. in a BIG tote . very sad but for one you try to save - I think a decent way to let them go ---- but not an easy one on the humans!
hit.gif

My hens over ate some Mellon and their crops are stuffed and they're obviously unhappy and panting a bit- will they be ok tomorrow or do I need to do something to help them? It was just an hour ago, should I be worried? Usually they don't do things like that!

We had a chick in this last hatch with a slipped tendon.  I worked on him for a good week and a half.  But finally, I had to throw the towel in when the jointed started to swell and he seemed to be in a lot of pain.

We created a mini gas chamber and gassed him.  It was awful, but nowhere near as bad as the other methods of culling a chick.  

Sorry! It's so hard. I think this one might make it but once I letbthem free range it wouldn't last out in the woods. Decisions.

Sorry! It's so hard. I think this one might make it but once I letbthem free range it wouldn't last out in the woods. Decisions.

It is a hard choice to make. I was hoping this chick would at least grow to be big enough to be put in freezer camp, but I couldn't let him/her go like that. The other chicks were running over him all of the time.

I asked hubby to take care of the culling and he just couldn't bring himself to do it, lol. Thus...the gas chamber. It seemed the most humane.

I brought home cream crested legbars, BBS cochin large fowl, 3 eggs from mottled cochin large fowl, blue wheaten ameraucana, and 1 dozen each of my OE and golden cuckoo marans. I loaded 91 eggs in the bator yesterday after collecting more of mine BLRW, maran, and frizzle OE.

My asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, and greens are up. I planted broccoli and cauliflower too. One bed of asparagus isn't looking good, looks like a mole went digging through it.
I am missing home all this talk of gardening and all .

DD had her girl. It was touch and go for a bit but both are well. Strange as it may sound but my SIL 's mothers name is the same as DW's. So that is my new granddaughters middle name.

Back
Top Bottom