NY chicken lover!!!!

I usually I start with a plastic tote first few days, then I get a couple big cardboard boxes from work free and tape them together for brooding with it cut out in the middle, leave about a inch up at the bottom they like to roost there. Light on one side, feed and water on the other. Burn them when done. Last yr with 30+ hatched plus 15 naked necks from Cackle they didn't spend much time in that setup. Put together a 4x8' plywood area in the garage, easy peasy only needed two sides with the walls. Still haven't got all the chick dust cleaned off everything yet.... Way better than ducklings by far though, dealing with dust is way better than dealing with the stench of those little pigs, stink to high heaven, messy messy messy, actual pigs are probably cleaner. They throw water everywhere no matter what it's in. Never tried nipples on them though, that would probably help big time.

I usually I start with a plastic tote first few days, then I get a couple big cardboard boxes from work free and tape them together for brooding with it cut out in the middle, leave about a inch up at the bottom they like to roost there. Light on one side, feed and water on the other. Burn them when done.
x2

.. Way better than ducklings by far though, dealing with dust is way better than dealing with the stench of those little pigs, stink to high heaven, messy messy messy, actual pigs are probably cleaner. They throw water everywhere no matter what it's in. Never tried nipples on them though, that would probably help big time.
I hated Ducks ...what slobs they were

5 weeks is still young enough to create a cast and as they grow, their toes will flatten. You definitely should fix them. Look on line for a tutorial. Easy to fix. 2 weeks and it will be better. You can use popsicle sticks as "shoes" for them and tape. Strong tape. Good luck

Wah! My best roo Pugley (son of the O-so wonderful but ugly Gomez) just met his end the same as his daddy, taking one for the team and defending the ladies..

Anyone near-ish Saratoga have NN eggs? I am collecting eggs from my girls to see if I can get Son Of Pugsley like I did for Gomez.. Wish me luck!
i have a cream legbar rooster--he is friendly. I'm moving to Icelandics and have a little cockerel growing up who will be the big daddy soon...I'm in the Adks and about 2 hours from you.

edit: I'm trying to re-home him...

Last edited:
I have some 5 week old chicks and two have horribly curled toes. Will this be a problem? Should I try to fix it or fatten them up and stew them?
My first chicks of Marans had roosters with curled toes. So too the SFH 's that were sent. If they can walk without trouble you could raise them up to eat. Perhaps even breed as it seems to me curled toes are a hatching problem rather than genetic. Sad as it is, I've rarely had a chick I've helped out of the egg not have leg or feet problems. I just cant' bring my self to do them in or let them die a slow death.

Not that you helped yours out. You don't say why they have curled toes. Where did you get them.

Back
Top Bottom